Life After Hours: April 7-9

Enjoy the sunny weather this weekend with festivals, movies or a house party

While the semester is coming to a close, make sure to check out these festivals, movies or a great house party before finals start. Get off campus and soak up the sun at some of these outdoors events.

Union Market Drive-In

Union Market’s Drive-In returns this weekend with The Royal Tenenbaums, a 2001 comedy about an estranged family that reunites when their father announces that he’s terminally ill. While this is a traditional drive-in made for cars, viewers can walk up and watch the movie for free. Make sure to bring a chair! If you’re driving, however, tickets are $10 and can be bought in advance online. More movies will be shown throughout the season from April through November, including “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on May 5. 

When: Friday, April 7 at 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Where: 1309 5th St., NE

Metro: Red Line, NoMA-Gallaudet U station

Waves for Water

Waves For Water is a Red Bull T.V. feature length documentary that explores the story of a former pro surfer’s mission to bring clean drinking water to everyone in the world. The documentary was released on March 22 to celebrate World Water Day, but this special screening will feature a panel discussion on providing universal access to clean water and food. One of the panelists will be the pro surfer himself: Jon Rose. Admission to the event is free, but make sure to RSVP online.

When: Friday, April 7 at 7:00 p.m.

Where: Doyle Forman Theater on the second floor of McKinley

Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival

Make sure to check out the last event of the National Cherry Blossom Festival and the largest one-day celebration of Japanese culture in the U.S. There will be sushi and other Japanese foods to sample at the 57th annual Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival. You can also purchase crafts from vendors and enjoy martial arts and J-POP groups’ performances. Attendees are encouraged to dress in traditional kimonos and experience Japanese culture. Admission to the event is only $10.

When: Saturday, April 8 at 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Where: Capitol Riverfront Neighborhood, M St. and New Jersey Ave., NE

Metro: Green line, Navy Yard-Ballpark station

Emancipation Day

Emancipation Day marks the anniversary of 3,000 enslaved persons in Washington, D.C. being freed eight months before the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. Celebrate this year with Mayor Muriel Bowser as she walks in the parade down Pennsylvania Avenue at 1 p.m. Later, there will be a concert at the Freedom Plaza, featuring performances by Joe Clair, DJ Dirty Ricco and Rajan Sedalia, and a stunning fireworks display after the sun sets. Admission to the event is free.

When: Saturday, April 8 at 1:00 p.m.

Where: The parade will be at 1000-1350 Pennsylvania Ave., NW. The concert and fireworks will be at Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site.

Metro: Red line, Metro Center station

Halcyon Stage House Party: Visions of the Future

Knock three things off your bucket list with this house party, hip hop concert and dance performance hybrid at Halcyon Stage. The house party is presented in partnership with the Howard Theatre, Guerrilla Arts, and Urban Artistry; it will feature Gabriel ‘Asheru’ Benn, Tarik ‘Konshens the MC’ Davis and GRAMMY-nominated artists Koyaki and Maimouna Youssef. Get ready to experience a cross-discipline dance battle, musical mashup and multimedia storytelling. Admission to this wild ride is only $20.

When: Saturday, April 8 at 8:00 p.m.

Where: Halcyon House at 3400 Prospect St., NW

Metro: Any 30 Metrobus towards Georgetown

Anacostia River Festival

Take the Metro over the east side of the river and explore all that Anacostia has to offer. If you have a bike, you can join the Anacostia River Trail bike ride along the newly extended Anacostia River Trail before the festival at 12 p.m.. Local businesses will showcase their talents at an artist market throughout the festival. 

Make sure to check out live performances and explore historic Anacostia’s food and arts scene at various times during the day. You can even enjoy the weather and and paddle a canoe in the Anacostia River. Admission to this festival is free.

When: Sunday, April 9 at 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Where: Anacostia Park at Anacostia Dr. and Good Hope Rd., SE

Metro: Green line, Anacostia station

emartin@theeagleonline.com