Five D.C. bookstores you should check out this weekend

Get out of the library and escape class readings

In a city that practically runs on high-speed info and quick access to news, a bookstore is the perfect place for a college student to escape from deadlines and due dates. Instead, delve into one of D.C.’s many quaint bookstores to get lost in a good book.

Capitol Hill Books

This tiny bookstore earns a top spot among D.C. bookstores for being a hidden gem just outside the bustling Eastern Market. Capitol Hill Books carries used books within a two-story townhouse apartment-style shop. The immersive quality of Capitol Hill Books, with its packed shelves of books practically falling off the walls, makes it the perfect place to get lost in your browsing. 

One of the key aspects that makes this bookstore so great is the amount of books with handwritten notes from previous owners inviting you into their own little world of reading. This quaint shop is a must-see for all those enthralled with community and learning.

Where: 657 C St., SE

Metro: Orange line, Eastern Market station

Politics and Prose

Only 0.8 miles from the Tenleytown Metro stop, Politics and Prose resides on the same strip as Comet Ping Pong and Little Red Fox, two must-try restaurant spots in Tenleytown. Not only does Politics and Prose have a fun and modern collection of books and trinkets, but it also has one of the cosiest reading spots for reading or studying in the District. 

The Den is the basement coffee shop of Politics and Prose, and serves some of the best food and drink out of all of D.C.’s numerous coffee shops. The Den’s basement-style atmosphere makes Politics and Prose the perfect one-stop shop for book finding, reading and studying. This combination of collection and environment earns Politics & Prose a number two spot on the best bookstores to visit.

Where: 5015 Connecticut Ave., NW

Metro: AU shuttle bus to Tenleytown 

Kramerbooks & Afterwords

When you picture Dupont Circle, you picture Kramerbooks. Kramerbooks has an especially fun and relevant collection of political books that stands out from other bookstores in the city. Many of the reads are quippy jabs at political figures that can be enjoyed just by reading the inside cover. 

Kramerbooks has a great browsing atmosphere just to see what’s new in great reads you’ll soon find on best seller lists. The shop also has a great restaurant to check out called Kramerbooks & Afterwords, which serves an exceptional Sunday brunch after a quick browsing session. You can also grab a drink at the small bar area. 

Where: 1517 Connecticut Ave., NW

Metro: Red line, Dupont Circle station

Upshur Street Books

Although it’s a hike, Upshur Street Books is worth venturing out to the edge of the Green line. The colorful and lively atmosphere of this bookstore reminds its customers of the child-like wonder of getting to pick out a new book soon to take you on a new adventure. 

Upshur Street Books, while lacking in square feet, has a substantial collection of classics, contemporaries, and everything in between. Next time you’re feeling adventurous enough to explore outside the confines of the Red line, swing by Upshur Street and get to know a local favorite.

Where: 827 Upshur St., NW

Metro: Green line, Georgia Ave-Petworth station

Second Story Books

While this shop gives off small town bookstore vibes, it sports a collection of eclectic reads for its customers. An element that separates this shop from the many others is its interesting collection of CDs and DVDs. Large enough to be its own complete section, these media selections offer a unique spin on learning. While it may take you back a decade or two, seeing music and video selections on display in front of you is an experience much more ethereal than iTunes. 

Where: 2000 P St., NW

Metro: Red line, Dupont Circle station

life@theeagleonline.com