Concert Review: Portugal.The Man provides mesmerizing performance at the 9:30 Club

Ongoing beats, intense visuals from indie rock group kept audience engaged

Portugal. The Man took the stage at the 9:30 Club in full force on April 1, exhibiting an upbeat vibe that would carry on throughout the rest of the band’s almost two hour performance.

The majority of the songs played during the set came off of the group’s most recent album “Evil Friends” and sounded almost identical to studio recordings, showcasing the members’ musical skill sets and strong ability to play live.

Kicking off the show with “Creep in a T-Shirt,” the band went all out in terms of pure vocals and an accompanying ambience of smoke and strobe lights, instantly energizing the audience and starting the performance off on a high note.

A hallmark of the show were the visuals projected behind the band, featuring psychedelic images ranging from mannequin-like figures to inspired patterned backgrounds. These kept all eyes on the band at all times, adding another level of intensity to the groovy atmosphere within the club.

After the opening number, the set list alternated between fast, upbeat songs such as “Modern Jesus” and slower ones like “Waves,” keeping audience members on their toes in terms of anticipating what would come next.

Lead singer John Gourley and bassist Zach Carothers wowed the audience, performing passionate lyrics and multiple drawn-out bass solos to create the illusion of a never-ending song for attendees to dance to.

Before closing out with some more of the band’s most popular songs including “Atomic Man” and “Purple Yellow Red & Blue,” in addition to newer singles “Feel it Still” and “Noise Pollution,” the band members expressed their gratitude to audience members and praised the 9:30 Club as one of their favorite venues to perform at.

“This is one of the best venues in the country, or at least in the top five,” Gourley said. “This place is f------ magical. This place knows what’s up.”

ikaplan@theeagleonline.com