Mastodon, a Grammy-nominated metal band, will perform at the Fillmore on May 2.

Concert Preview: Mastodon

The heavy metal titans take the Fillmore on May 2nd

Fresh off the release of their seventh studio album “Emperor of Sand,” the Grammy-nominated metal band, Mastodon, will perform at the Fillmore in Silver Spring on May 2. Regarded as one of the most innovative and compelling metal bands of the 2000s, Mastodon remains as potent and visceral in concert as ever before.

Mastodon will be joined by the always electric Eagles of Death Metal, who are back performing live after the horrific shooting at their 2015 performance in Paris. Both bands are credited with helping to keep traditional heavy rock music in the mainstream, and will surely provide a noisy, raucous night.

“Emperor of Sand” combines elements of hard rock, which have been primarily featured on their previous two albums, and progressive elements, which were most apparent on their earlier work. Mastodon’s deep catalog of fantastic songs allows for the band to mix and match their setlist to create a varied array of sounds and themes.

Songs such as “Asleep in the Deep,” “Divinations” and “Blood and Thunder” are as instrumentally excellent as they are compelling lyrically. Each song tells a different story about some mythical beast from literature. While these songs serve as a great entry point into the band, the band’s recent documentary cataloging the creation of their latest album humanizes the group, and gives an interesting look at the process behind the well-orchestrated chaos that is their music.

Tickets for the show are available here at a price of $37.50. Doors to the Fillmore open at 6:30 p.m., and the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

growell@theeagleonline.com