Awkwafina

Preview: AASU Presents: Awkwafina

The up-and-coming rapper comedian will perform at AU on April 7

You read that right: Nora “Awkwafina” Lum is coming to AU.

You may recognize the hilarious Asian American rapper and television personality from her debut album “Yellow Ranger” (2014) or her appearances on MTV’s “Girl Code” and “Neighbors 2.” On the other hand, perhaps you haven’t heard of her and you think you’d much rather spend another Friday night watching movies or going out with some friends who promised to split a Lyft with you.

Save yourself from the same old routine and make sure you’re in the crowd during this show.

Awkwafina will be performing in MGC’s Tavern on Friday, April 7 at 9 p.m., hosted by the Asian American Student Union. Guests will be able to enjoy a free comedy and musical performance from the artist, and have the opportunity to chat with her during the meet-and-greet after the show.

Kirsten Jay, president of the Asian American Student Union, hopes that the event will push members of the AU community to see Asian-Pacific Islander students differently.

“So often APIs get pigeon-holed into stereotypes and are portrayed as one-dimensional in media and real life,” Jay says. “Awkwafina is one of few Asian American female rappers and we’re hoping that by bringing her to campus, people will see that APIs can succeed in any industry.”

The Asian American Student Union has been working on the project for nearly five months since the International Secret Agents reached out asking to bring the performer to AU. In the future, the group plans to bring more Asian American speakers and performers in hopes of making events like this a spring tradition.

Currently, Awkwafina is shooting “Ocean’s Eight,” the all-female remake of the “Ocean’s Eleven” series. She’ll be working alongside Academy Award-winners Sandra Bullock and Anne Hathaway, as well as other well-known actresses Helena Bonham Carter and Mindy Kaling. Awkwafina is on her way to becoming the freshest face in Hollywood, so you might want to take advantage of this performance while you can get your autograph without the price tag.

Anyone is welcome to the event so long as AU students present their student ID along with their ticket, and non-AU students present their government-issued ID along with their ticket, which is available for free on Eventbrite.

cjames@theeagleonline.com