potatoes

Recipe: Crispy, crunchy, simple french fries

An original “better than TDR fries” recipe in five simple steps

Ever have a craving for fries but TDR just doesn’t cut it? Homemade french fries are the best for potato lovers of all kinds. This homemade recipe isn’t about how many ingredients are in it, but rather the elbow grease involved. Depending on how many potatoes you cook, you can adjust the quantity of each ingredient. Here’s how to get an easy homemade recipe in five easy steps:

Servings: 3

Ingredients:

• 3 potatoes
  • 4 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon  of soy sauce
  • 4 cups of water
  • 2 tablespoon of salt 
  • Condiments (whatever you like)

Step 1: Prep the potatoes

Wash the potatoes to get rid of dirt on the skin. After washing, cut into thin, long slices for faster cooking.

Step 2: Boil the potatoes 

Boiling the potatoes will make these fries not only crunchy on the outside, but also soft on the inside. Fill a pot with water and let it boil. Put the potatoes in and set the timer for 20 minutes. The potatoes are ready when they are firm enough so that they don’t fall apart, but soft enough to be able to cut through easily. 

Step 3: Let dry and turn on the oven 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Remove potatoes from the water and dry so they can cook evenly when they are in the oven.

Step 4: Bake the potatoes

After the potatoes are done cooling down, prep them by placing the potatoes on a cookie sheet, drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. The more oil used, the faster and crispier the potatoes will cook. Now the secret ingredient: soy sauce! Soy sauce creates a unique kick that will really give your fries a spunky flavor. 

Step 5: Waiting for the creation

The hardest part of the recipe is waiting for the potatoes to cook completely, so you can eat! This will usually take about 25-30 minutes. The potatoes should look crispy and lightly browned.

These fries are crispy on the outside and smooth on the inside, making them the perfect combo! They can be frozen for future use, or can be enjoyed immediately with mayo or ketchup. I would recommend adding vinaigrette on top and cooking up some fresh greens to go along. Plus, these fries are a healthier addition to a student’s diet since they are baked, not fried. These fries will not disappoint. 

foodfitness@theeagleonline.com