Kennedy Center

Life After Hours: March 3-5

Start March off right with a festival, parade, art or performance

The cherry blossoms will not peak nearly two weeks from now, so bide the time with a cultural festival, parade, music festival, art exhibit or improv show.

Francophonie Cultural Festival

The D.C. Francophonie Cultural Festival celebrates the diversity of the French language and communities around the world through a series of cultural events and outreach programs. Over 40 embassies and partners are collaborating to present festival-goers a wide array of experiences from March 2- 31. This weekend, enjoy one of the first events: a discussion on Ernest Hemingway with the Shakespeare Theatre Company. The event will be at the Alliance Française de Washington culture and education center and admission is only $15, which includes a reception following the discussion.

When: Friday, March 3 at 7 p.m.

Where: 2142 Wyoming Ave., NW

Metro: Green or Yellow line, Archives-Navy Mem’l-Penn Quarter Station

Saint Patrick's Day Parade

Check out the annual Saint Patrick’s Day Parade in Old Town Alexandria to celebrate the holiday early. The Ballyshaners, Inc., a nonprofit Irish cultural organization, organizes the parade every year along with a classic car show and fun dog show beforehand. Admission to the parade is free, and make sure to check out the restaurants in Old Town while you’re there.

When: Saturday, March 4 at 12:30 p.m.

Where: Alfred St. and King St.

Metro: Yellow or Blue line, King St-Old Town station

Sounds of the City: A D.C. Music, Arts and Interactive Festival

Enjoy some unique D.C. music and art with this weekend-long music festival put on by D.C. Music Download. The festival highlights the city’s music and arts scene with several D.C. artists, venues and organizations. Saturday is arguably the most anticipated day of the festival with the first-ever D.C. record label expo at the Songbyrd Music House and Record Café from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., and then the mainstage performance and five-year anniversary of D.C. Music Download at the Black Cat at 8 p.m. Admission to the expo is free, but tickets to the mainstage performance at $12.

When: Friday, March 3 to Sunday, March 5, times vary based on event

Where: Varies based on event

Fearless Project by Jeff Sheng

American artist Jeff Sheng presents his series of photos of more than 200 LGBTQ student athletes at the Kennedy Center. The series, titled the Fearless Project, will be displayed in the Hall of Nations. Sheng’s work has been featured in New York Times Magazine, Time Magazine and Newsweek. Admission to see the striking portraits is free, and the exhibit will be featured until March 19. The Washington National Opera displays this exhibit along with their upcoming production of Champion, beginning Saturday, March 4. Tickets to the opera start at $35.

When: Feb. 7 through March 19, 10 a.m. until closing

Where: 2700 F St., NW

Metro: Orange, Blue or Silver line, Foggy Bottom/George Washington University station

Jak Knight at DC Improv

Laugh the night away with LA-based stand-up comic, writer and actor, Jak Knight. Knight has appeared on several Comedy Central shows and at 2015’s Oddball Comedy Festival with Amy Schumer and Aziz Ansari. He is also currently writing and voicing for an upcoming Netflix animated series titled “BIG MOUTH.” Check out Knight’s DC Improv debut with tickets for only $17.

When: Friday, March 3 and Saturday, March 4 at 7:30 p.m. and 9:45 p.m.

Where: 1140 Connecticut Ave., NW

Metro: Red line, Farragut North station

emartin@theeagleonline.com