National Gallery of Art

Life After Hours: March 10-12

Kick off spring break with a movie, exhibits, a concert, expo or festival

Don’t worry if you’re staying in the District for spring break, or even just this weekend. There’s plenty to do, including movie screenings, new exhibits, concerts, expos and festivals.

La La Land Sing-along

Experience the Academy-Award winning movie musical in a whole new format. The movie is sure to please with its whimsical tale of an aspiring-actress and dedicated jazz musician who help each other try to make their dreams come true in Los Angeles. The tribute to classic Hollywood presents catchy songs like “City of Stars” and this theater is inviting anyone who wants to sing along for the bargain price of $9.50.

When: Friday, March 9, Saturday, March 10 and Sunday, March 11 at 3:45 p.m.

Where: E Street Cinema at 555 11th St., NW

Metro: Red line, Metro Center station

Chromatic Scale: Prints by Polly Apfelbaum

Discover bright colors and abstract patterns and their roles in modern art at the National Museum of Women in the Arts this weekend. Polly Apfelbaum’s new exhibit will explore her distinctive approach to prints and their relation to her work in painting, sculpture and installation. The exhibit features prints made by woodblocks that were carved, inked and placed individually by Apfelbaum. Bright colors and rainbows are Apfelbaum’s primary focus for this art, which will be featured in the Teresa Lozano Long Gallery. Make sure to bring your AU I.D. because admission to the museum is $8 for students.

When: Opens Friday, March 10 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Where: 1250 New York Ave., NW

Metro: Red line, Metro Center station

June Schwarcz: Invention and Variation

Multiple art exhibits are opening up around the District this spring, but this innovative exhibit is one you should be sure to check out. “June Schwarcz: Invention and Variation” includes sixty pieces by the enameling artist, several of which have never been publicly displayed. Pieces will include vessels, three-dimensional objects, wall-mounted plaques and panels. Head on over to the Renwick Gallery to experience Schwarcz’s innovative art. Admission to the museum is free.

When: Opens Friday, March 10 from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Where: Pennsylvania Ave. at 17th St., NW
Metro: Red line, Farragut North station

Rock 'n' Roll Health & Fitness Expo

United Airlines sponsors the Rock ‘n’ Roll Washington D.C. marathon, half marathon and 5K annually, but before the races begin, there is a two-day Health & Fitness Expo. All race participants must visit the expo to pick up their packets, but it is also open to the public. The latest in running technologies, fitness apparel, health and nutrition information and interactive displays will be featured at the expo in the D.C. Armory. Admission to this event is free.

When: Friday, March 10 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Where: 2001 E. Capitol St., SE
Metro: Blue, Orange or Silver line, Stadium-Armory station

Cappella Pratensis concert

Do you love music? How about a capella music? Take the Metro downtown to enjoy an a capella concert at the National Gallery of Art. The Capella Pratensis will be performing to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Hieronymus Bosch’s death. Bosch was a renowned Dutch painter that was considered a representative of Early Netherlandish painting. The concert will take place in the east garden court of the west building of the museum, and admission is free.

When: Sunday, March 12 at 3:30 p.m.
Where: 6th & Constitution Ave., NW
Metro: Yellow or Green line, Archives-Navy Mem’l-Penn Quarter station

Nowruz Festival

Ring in the Persian New Year at the Tysons Corner Center with this lively festival. Nowruz, the Persian New Year, embodies several rites and customs on the first day of spring annually. This celebration is an ancient tradition, and the festival will be rich with opportunities to learn about Persian culture.

Spend the day with hundreds of Persian-American artists, musicians, singers and dancers. More than 75 vendors will sell traditional foods, jewelry, crafts, books and other products. Admission to the festival is free.

When: Sunday, March 12 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Where: 1961 Chain Bridge Rd.
Metro: Silver line, Tysons Corner station

emartin@theeagleonline.com