Life After Hours: Jan. 27-29

Celebrate the Chinese New Year or enjoy some musical or theatrical performances this weekend

The Chinese New Year is the largest celebration in the District this weekend, but there are plenty of other musical performances to enjoy in the city, as well as a film festival.

Songwriter Showcase at The Black Cat

If you’re looking for some original music to jam to, look no further than The 9: Songwriter Series. This touring live music event was founded in 2008 by singer/songwriter Justin Trawick and is based in D.C. The performance features nine solo singer/songwriters in rotation, sometimes by themselves or sitting in with each other. The showcase promises to provide audiences with a rich and intimate listening experience for only $10 per person!

When: Friday, Jan. 27 at 8 p.m.

Where: 1811 14th Street, NW

Metro: Green line, U St./Cardozo station

Rosebud Film Festival

The Rosebud Film Festival has screened original movies for 25 years now, and for its 26th year, it will present audiences with the feature film “Reparation” on its opening night. The festival is comprised of three events: the opening night film and mixer, the nominee showcase and the awards gala. Audiences can attend either of the events and the gala for $15, or purchase an all day pass for $25 for access to every event. The showcase will feature a 20-film (six and a half-hour) slate of nominees, so get ready for a whole day of great movies!

When: Jan. 27 to 29, time varies by event

Where: Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre or Clarendon Ballroom

Metro: Orange or Silver line, Rosslyn and Clarendon stations

Hot in Herre: 2000s Dance Party

Dance the night away with DJs Will Eastman and Brian Billion and their mix of musical guilty pleasures. The party will feature your favorite hits of the millennium including Destiny's Child, Akon, Britney, R Kelly, Maroon 5, Rihanna, Outkast and more. Tickets for this sing-and-dance-along are only $16!

When: Jan. 28 from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Where: 9:30 Club at 815 V Street, NW

Chinatown Lunar New Year Festival and Chinese New Year Parade

Celebrate the beginning of the Chinese New Year with this jam-packed festival. The two-floored center will showcase a marketplace with Chinese lion puppets, a waltz and salsa performance, a kung fu/tai chi demonstration, a lion dance performance and much, much more. Then, take a break from the face painting and snacks with the famous Chinese New Year parade at 2 p.m. There will be lions, dragons, firecrackers, marching bands and Chinese folk dancers. Admission is only $3 for the festival and the parade is free.

When: Sunday, Jan. 29 from 12-5 p.m.

Where: Chinatown Community Cultural Center at 616 H Street, NW

Metro: Red line, Gallery Place/Chinatown station

emartin@theeagleonline.com