Q and A With Jess Wolfe of Lucius

Wolfe talks about touring, experiencing the DMV and about what fans should expect from their show.

Lucius is a Brooklyn-based indie pop band comprised of lead singers Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig, along with Andrew Burri, Dan Molad and Peter Lalish. The band has released three studio albums and is most notable for its impressive dual vocals and unique aesthetic. Jess Wolfe talked to The Eagle about touring and experiencing the band’s show in DC.

The Eagle: What are you excited about going on tour and what are you dreading?

Jess Wolfe: We’re not really dreading anything. We really enjoy going in front [of] people and we feel like touring is where we shine.

E: How did you create the aesthetic you have on stage?

JW: We’ve always been inspired with artists with strong visual representation. When we started writing, we found that we wanted to incorporate the dual vocals. What cemented the specific aesthetics were the harmonies and working together as one voice. The aesthetic showed that we sing as one unit before you even heard us.

E: What's your experience with playing in Baltimore and D.C.?

JW: We love playing the D.C. and Baltimore areas and some of our favorite venues are there. We’ve been fortunate to play great venues like 9:30 Club, and we also got to be featured on NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concerts.” We’ve had a lot of wonderful experiences and wonderful fans. We’ve really been welcomed here with open arms.

E: What are you hoping for fans to feel when they see you guys live?

JW: Have a really complete experience and feel swept away. We want them to feel a lot of excitement and fun in the show but also see how musical and dynamic I think we can be.

E: Do you prefer small venues or festivals?

JW: It depends on the venue or festival. We’ve played the best and worst of both. Depends on the room, people, sound. Some of our favorite festivals are Newport Folk Fest, Solid Sound, Outsidelands, 9:30, Central Park, Prospect Park; we’ve been very lucky to play a wide array of venues and diverse audience. That’s what we look forward to while we’re on the road. We just got off with Roger Waters and singing with him and it was incredible. 75,000 people attended and a lot of iconic artists.

E: What do you have to say about your openers?

JW: We always try to curate our show so that you feel like you’re having a rounded experience. Not too similar to us because that can be exhausting and what’s the point of that. [The Cactus Blossoms are] two guys who sing beautifully. Not too dissimilar to the Everly Brothers, but still their own style. It’s what we respond to and we think fans are going to love it.