Concert Preview: Experience Magic with Tennyson at DC9

Expect the unexpected with Canadian duo’s dreamlike tunes on Nov. 11

Electronic duo Tennyson is expected to bring an intense clash of instrumental tunes to DC9 Nightclub on Friday, Nov. 11. Using the sound of alarm clock beeps, dial tones, waves crashing into rocks and liquid being poured out of a bottle, this show will be one to remember.

Made up of the Canadian sibling duo, Luke and Tess Pretty, Tennyson explores a wide range of melodies, giving each of the songs a dynamic and eclectic feel that leaves listeners in a magical trance. Tennyson’s peculiar songs are “madly busy, chock-full of keyboard twiddles and brrrrps, glissandos, arpeggios or whatever sounds happen to be at hand,” according to The Guardian.

Originally from Edmonton, the duo have been playing covers since they were young, but it wasn’t until Luke was 12 years old that he started producing jazz music. With two albums out, it was by 2010 that Tess joined Luke to create electronic material that infused both jazz and electronica to form what Tennyson is today.

“It’s like the Series of Unfortunate Events siblings started an electronica band,” claimed one reviewer from Pop Matters.

Tennyson’s songs like “Beautiful World” and “Like What?” from its newest EP illuminate a high level of maturity and complexity. With Tess on drums and Luke on the keyboard, the pair intertwines intricate drum beats with electronic lullaby like loops. The details in each of the songs - from the sound of deep breaths to a cell phone ringing in the background - encapsulate emotions that truly cannot be described by words.

Music becomes a shared language that Tennyson brings into a venue, where each of the elements in their songs reflect an intimate experience Luke and Tess want to translate to their audience.

“I think you kind of have to change yourself into a bit more like your audience. It’s kind of a nice challenge. How can I make something that I’m proud of and that people will like immediately,” Luke told Yours Truly in an interview.

Tennyson will be playing at DC9 Nightclub on November 11. Tickets are $12, doors open at 6:30 p.m. You can listen to Tennyson here.

scene@theeagleonline.com