Concert Preview: Mitski brings indie rock to Black Cat

The singer-songwriter will perform on Nov. 18

NYC-based singer-songwriter Mitski Miyawaki will take the stage at the Black Cat in D.C. on Nov. 18, supporting the release of her 2016 album “Puberty 2.”

At 26-years-old, Mitski has already put out four albums. While studying at the SUNY Purchase music conservatory, she self-released “Lush” and “Retired from Sad, New Career in Business” as her respective junior and senior final projects. After signing with the label Double Double Whammy, Mitski released “Bury Me At Makeout Creek” in 2014 to critical acclaim.

“Puberty 2” is more subtle and restrained than “Bury Me,” yet still packed with Mitski’s trademark dark humor, lo-fi guitar and layered lyrics. Her singing ranges from toned down and lyrical on “Thursday Girl” to out-of-breath and frenzied on “My Body’s Made of Crushed Little Stars.” But whether quiet or piercing, Mitski’s voice always conveys the full weight and emotion behind her words.

Mitski describes her fourth album as “similar in sound, but a direct growth” from “Bury Me at Makeout Creek.” On “Bury Me,” she penned songs that brazenly defied others’ opinions, declaring “I am not gonna be what my daddy wants me to be” and “I am stronger than you give me credit for.” She revelled in her rage with tracks like “Drunk Walk Home,” where she spits out “f--k you and your money” before ending the song with 30 seconds of incoherent screams.

In “Puberty 2,” Mitski isn’t a defiant, angsty youth anymore. Instead, she’s trying to cope with the all too real struggles of adulthood while reflecting on sadness, lost love, racism and self-identity.

“I don’t know how I’m gonna pay rent,” she sings on one track, and on another “I’m tired of wanting more, I think I’m finally worn.” She depicts the numbness of depression, the emptiness of a one night stand, and the transience of happiness.

While taking a different direction than her previous albums, “Puberty 2” continues to share the personal stories and relatable lyrics that have garnered Mitski a near-cult following of teens and young adults. She reflects honestly on the ups and -- more usually -- downs of adulthood, creating an almost cathartic listening experience for her audience.

English dream pop band Fear of Men and Toronto indie quartet Weaves will open for Mitski. Fear of Men released its second album “Fall Forever” in June, featuring moody single “Sane.” Weaves’ debut eponymous album came out in August. Check out singles “Tick” and “One More” for a taste of their quirky art rock.

Mitski will perform at Black Cat on Nov. 18 at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are no longer available.

amammina@theeagleonline.com