Zoo

The Weekend Scene: Oct. 21-23

Enjoy a weekend of dogs, pumpkins and art!

Whether you’re savoring the lingering warm weather or daydreaming of crisper October days, check out the festivities taking place in D.C. this weekend. Celebrate all things pumpkin with an autumnal festival, or venture to a one-of-a-kind craft show.

Boo at the Zoo

Contrary to popular belief, Boo at the Zoo isn’t just for kids! The annual Halloween extravaganza at the National Zoo has everything you need to get excited for the upcoming holiday: over 40 treat stations, craft beer and food samples, live entertainment and after-hours entry to all of your favorite animal exhibits. Tickets are sold out for Saturday, but still available for the rest of the weekend at $30 for non-members. (Stay tuned for next weekend’s Night of the Living Zoo party if you’re 21 or older!)

When: Oct. 21 and Oct. 23, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Where: Smithsonian National Zoo, 3001 Connecticut Avenue NW

Metro: Woodley Park-Adams Morgan, Red Line

Bark n’ Brunch

If you missed Dogs on the Quad this week, Open City at the National Cathedral is combining our two favorite things this Saturday: dogs and brunch. Bring your dog (or just come and fawn over everyone else’s) for a morning of food, raffles and dogs wearing Halloween costumes. If you still aren’t sold, there will be plenty of dogs up for adoption and all proceeds will benefit the City Dogs Rescue organization.

When: Oct. 22, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Where: 3101 Wisconsin Avenue NW

Bus: Take any of the 30 route buses to the Cathedral Avenue stop

Pumpkin Palooza

If you’re not suffering from pumpkin-overload yet, District Wharf is hosting a free festival complete with pumpkin bowling, pumpkin pie and more themed festivities at Gangplank Marina Park on Saturday. This event also includes a seasonal beer garden with samples, live music from the Wil Gravatt Band and plenty of other spooky activities. The weather is expected to cool down this weekend, so come and enjoy a perfect autumnal day on the waterfront!

When: Oct. 22, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Where: 600 Water Street SW

Metro: L’Enfant Plaza, Orange/Silver/Blue/Yellow/Green Lines

American Fine Craft Show

All weekend long, the American Fine Craft Show will bring together the unique work of artists from around the country in this impressive showcase. Artistic pottery, handmade furniture and distinctive jewelry are just a handful of the categories that will be on display. Whether you have an appreciation for a certain craft or just want to explore the pieces for sale, you are sure to find something truly special at the show. Admission for students is $8.

When: Oct. 21, 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Oct. 22, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Oct. 23, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where: 2001 East Capitol Street SE

Metro: Stadium-Armory, Orange/Silver/Blue Lines

ljakiel@theeagleonline.com