SASA

Preview: SASA’s Annual Culture Show

Celebrate South Asian art and culture at Jalwa

AU’s South Asian Student Association is celebrating the art of South Asia this week with its annual culture and fashion show on Oct. 21. Jalwa: Annual SASA Culture Show will liven up the Tavern with traditional cultural and artistic performances from a variety of South Asian countries.

Jalwa, meaning “charisma” and “display/show” in Hindi, has been put on by SASA every year since 2008, according to SASA President Gauri Chopra. The event serves as a way for SASA members to showcase their culture and for AU students to learn more about the beauty and diversity of the South Asian region.

“South Asia is a pretty large region,” SASA President Gauri Chopra said. “Our members are comprised of people from many of the countries.” Chopra added that she hopes that through this event, “everyone can come together to celebrate who they are and where they come from.”

From 7:30-8:15 p.m. in Butler Boardroom, students can pay $3 to enjoy unlimited samosas and mango lassi catered by Asian Flavors. The free show kicks off at 8:30 p.m. in the Tavern with a display of the talents and creativity of SASA members. Students will perform Hindi songs and original poetry pieces, with the American Bhangra Crew taking the stage later on to perform both classical and Hinid-style dances.

A highlight of the night is the fashion show, where SASA members will dress up in colorful outfits and showcase traditional South Asian attire. The night will end with an open dance floor, featuring music from modern South Asian artists.

Chopra said that she’s most excited for students to see how “vibrant, fun and unique the different South Asian cultures are.”

Jalwa: Annual Culture Show will take place on Friday, Oct. 21 from 7:30-9 p.m. in the MGC Tavern. No cost for admission, $3 for pre-show unlimited appetizers.

amammina@theeagleonline.com