Concert Preview: Glass Animals takes on Echostage

Indie pop band Glass Animals will perform at Echostage on Sept. 25. The Oxford-based band is touring in support of its new album “How To Be A Human Being,” which was released on August 26 to critical acclaim.

Following the success of Glass Animals’ lush debut “Zaba” in 2014, expectations were high for the band’s second album. “Zaba” was a quick hit, with smooth, soulful harmonies, tribal beats and dreamlike rhymes best seen in singles “Gooey,” “Hazey,” and “Black Mambo." Skillfully avoiding the sophomore slump, “How To Be A Human Being” carries on the band’s distinctive sound while taking a bolder, more innovative approach.

“How To Be A Human Being” is a narrative-based concept album, with most of the lyrics inspired by strangers’ stories that frontman Dave Bayley secretly recorded while touring “Zaba”. Bayley wanted to go in a different direction from the cryptic, psychedelic “Zaba” by writing “something rawer and more human.” And he succeeded. From danceable singles like “Life Itself” to “Poplar St” with its Red Hot Chili Peppers-esque guitar melody, the album crafts a nuanced exploration of humanity.

London five-piece Pumarosa will open for Glass Animals. The self-described “industrial spiritual” band released their eponymous debut album on Sept. 7.

Glass Animals will perform at Echostage on September 25 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available for $36.

amammina@theeagleonline.com