Weekly Scene: Aug. 20-28

Take a trip off campus this Welcome Week to explore what the District has to offer

DC Restaurant Week

DC is Bon Appétit’s restaurant city of the year, so use your first weekend in the city to check out some of its most popular eateries during DC Restaurant Week. Many locations offer exclusive deals, including specials such as a three course lunch for $22 and dinner for $35. Take advantage of these discounts before you’re stuck eating TDR for every meal! Reservations are recommended.

When: Until Aug. 21

Where: See website for participating restaurants

Metro: Varies by location

“Hook” at the National Harbor

This week’s outdoor movie at the National Harbor is “Hook.” Grab your floormates, blankets and snacks for the screening and check out the schedule of Sunday night films playing until Sept. 25. Admittance is free!

When: Sunday Aug. 21 at 6 p.m.

Where: National Harbor, Fort Washington, MD

Metro: Southern Ave Station, Green Line, then NH1 bus to Waterfront Street and Potomac Passage stop

Jazz in the Garden

Wind down with a free jazz concert at the National Gallery of Art’s Sculpture Garden. This week’s featured artist is the group Moonshine Society. The Gallery holds performances every Friday evening until Sept. 2, so stop by before it’s too late!

When: Aug. 26, 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Where: National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden, 6th and Constitution Avenue NW

Metro: Gallery Place-Chinatown Station, Red Line

17th Street Festival

Head to this free festival on 17th Street for live entertainment and a chance to shop the creations of over 100 vendors and artists. This year’s annual festival includes a dog parade, dancers and local musicians holding performances all along the street.

When: Aug. 27, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: 17th Street NW

Metro: Dupont Circle Station, Red Line

DC State Fair

The seventh annual DC State Fair highlights the District’s best local food, art and musical talent. Attendees can also participate in contests including hula hooping, photography and dancing. A late summer fair is the perfect way to conclude Welcome Week and kick off the fall semester!

When: Aug. 28, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Where: NoMa Junction at Storey Park, 1005 First Street NE

Metro: NoMa-Gallaudet U Station, Red Line

ICEBERGS at the National Building Museum

Last year’s immersive BEACH exhibit at the National Building Museum was an instant sensation, and the museum’s latest installation is sure to be the star of just as many Instagram photos. The impressive creation allows visitors to travel down a slide of “ice” and get a look inside a mock iceberg. Tickets are available here and are $13 with your student ID.

When: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., until Sept. 5 (opens at 11 a.m. on Sundays)

Where: National Building Museum, 401 F Street NW

Metro: Judiciary Square Station, Red Line

ljakiel@theeagleonline.com