Students can visit the Indonesian Embassy on Embassy Row. 

The Scene’s guide to this fall’s embassy events

Your guide to exploring the international side of DC

Break out your best suit or dress and spend an unforgettable evening on foreign soil—without the hassle of leaving the country. Whether it’s an evening relaxing in the Bahamas or a night of dancing at a Venetian ball, these embassy events are an unmissable part of the AU experience. Go solo or with a group of friends, and indulge in a night of cultural history, live music and international cuisine. Bonus: If you bring your passport you can get stamps to brag about!

Embassy Row Walking Tour

Get familiar with one of DC’s most famous streets with a tour around the world in two hours. Making stops at the embassies of Ireland, Turkey, Indonesia and more, the Embassy Row Walking Tour sheds light on the history, scandals and secrets of the District’s most elite neighborhoods. It’s a great way to see the international side of the city and learn a little more about the countries you’ll study in your world politics or international business classes. Dress casual and comfortable, and make sure to bring plenty of water and sunscreen to beat the heat! Tickets are $20.

When: Sunday, Aug. 21, 12-2 p.m.

Where: Meets at Dupont Circle Metro Stop - North Entrance

Evening at the Embassy of Costa Rica with the Ambassador

Take a break from the Welcome Week concerts and game nights for a night in Central America! Dig into a traditional Costa Rican buffet dinner of fried plantains, Olla de Carne and empanadas, watch a salsa dance performance, and learn more about the rich cultural history of Costa Rica with a special documentary showing. Wear your best business attire—think ties and blazers—and ask Ambassador Roman Macaya and other diplomats your questions about Costa Rica’s history and current events. Tickets are $50.

When: Thursday, Aug. 25, 6:30-8:20 p.m.

Where: Embassy of Costa Rica, 15 minute walk from the Dupont Circle Metro Stop

Caribbean Celebration at the Embassy of the Bahamas

Ditch the tie and business clothes for this event, and spend your night de-stressing from classes with a trip to the Bahamas. With authentic Bahamian dishes, an open bar, and live steel drums, you’ll be as close to the Caribbean as you can get without leaving the country—and you might even win a free vacation! Throughout the night, meet with diplomats from the Bahamas and get a glimpse of the country’s cultural background in a short film showing. Tickets are $52.

When: Friday, Sept. 9, 8-11 p.m.

Where: Embassy of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, five minute walk from the Dupont Circle Metro Stop

Noche Iberoamericana Festival

If you’re 21 or older and want a night of networking, music, food and wine, look no further. With tasty food samples from Mexico and Venezuela, wine from Argentina and Chile, and a special art exhibit put on by the Mexican Cultural Institute, this celebration of Ibero-American culture can’t be missed. Representatives from 18 countries will be present, so put on your best cocktail attire and get ready to mingle! Tickets cost $85.

When: Wednesday, Oct. 5, 6:30 p.m.

Where: Mexican Cultural Institute, 10 minute walk from Capitol Heights Bus Station

Venetian Ball at the Embassy of Italy

Go full Venetian and enter the masquerade contest—or just break out that tux or prom dress you promised your mom you’d wear more than once—and spend an elegant evening in Italy. Most of the night will center around music and dancing, with a ballroom dance lesson, opera singers and a late night DJ, but you can always take a break from the dancefloor to try delicious Italian desserts and take advantage of the open bar. If you’re willing to spend a little more, purchase the VIP tickets and enjoy a private champagne reception and early dinner of saffron risotto and tortellini alfredo. Tickets cost $89-$122.

When: Friday, Oct. 7, 7:30-11:45 p.m.

Where: Embassy of Italy, 15 minute walk from Capitol Heights Bus Station

amammina@theeagleonline.com