The Weekend Scene: July 8-10

Explore cultural celebrations, art exhibits and music festivals in the DMV

Smithsonian Folklife Festival

The city’s annual free Folklife Festival pays tribute to traditions around the world through music, cooking, storytelling and more. This year’s festival highlights various cultures and their global impact with three intriguing programs: Basque: Innovation by Culture, Sounds of California and On the Move. Sunday marks the end of this year’s celebration, so be sure to stop by and explore handmade works at the festival’s marketplace, enjoy some authentic cuisine or wind down at an evening concert.

When: July 7 through July 10, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Daily evening concerts start at 6:30 p.m.)

Where: National Mall

Metro: Smithsonian Station, Orange Line

WONDER Exhibit

Have you captured the perfect Instagram shot at the Renwick Gallery’s WONDER exhibition yet? If not, this weekend is your last chance. Three of the exhibit’s wildly popular installations are leaving the museum after Sunday, with only two artists’ work remaining indefinitely. Admission is free, so don’t miss your opportunity to immerse yourself in this mesmerizing artwork.

When: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily

Where: Renwick Gallery, 1661 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Metro: Farragut North Station, Red Line

America Now: Creativity in a Citizen Democracy

Celebrate the importance of democracy at this free event held by the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Listen to live musical performances by local artist Tarica June and bluegrass bands Steep Canyon Rangers and Seldom Scene, express yourself on a community mural, register to vote and much more!

When: July 9, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Renwick Gallery, 800 G Street NW

Metro: Gallery Place/Chinatown, Red Line

Merryland Music Fest

If you’re in need of a weekend getaway, make the trek to Merriweather Post Pavilion for live music and fresh air at the first ever Merryland Music Fest. The lineup includes acts such as The String Cheese Incident, Ben Harper, Grace Potter and other noteworthy artists. Ticket prices vary from $75-$125 for single day passes and $125-$200 for admittance both days.

When: July 9 and 10, doors open at 12:00 p.m.

Where: Merriweather Post Pavilion, 10475 Little Patuxent Pkwy, Columbia, MD

Metro: Car necessary

ljakiel@theeagleonline.com