The Weekend Scene: Feb. 19-21

Enjoy a weekend full of spoken word poetry, paintings and orgasms, all while staying on AU’s campus.

This weekend, stay on campus and enjoy a weekend immersed in art in the form of spoken word poetry, orgasms and culture.

Katzen Museum Winter Collection

American University’s own Katzen Museum is showcasing its Winter collection. The four exhibits feature art by female artists Renee Stout and Maggie Michael. The exhibits explore the lingering influence of African cultural traditions in contemporary America, the female expedition towards artistic maturity and the role painting plays as a platform for exploring emotion and information.

When: Tuesdays through Sundays, 11 a.m. To 4p.m.. Collection open until March 13.

Where: American University, Katzen Art Center

Vagina Monologues

Eve Ensler, the writer of the play, “The Vagina Monologues,” wrote her script based on her interviews with over 200 women on the subject of being a woman. The award winning, off-broadway play is annually performed by AU students, and this year’s show started on Friday night. The monologues concern commonly marginalized topics of feminism, gender equality, sexuality, body image and self confidence. While the issues are serious and many monologues reflect that, a majority of the play is light-hearted and funny. Tickets are $7.

When: Feb. 19th 7 p.m., Feb. 20 2 p.m., Feb. 21 2 p.m.

Where: American University, Mary Graydon Center 2-5

kpappas@theeagleonline.com