Weekend Scene

The Weekend Scene: Jan. 29-31

After a week of cabin fever, get out into D.C.!

Jonas is gone, and so is patience for your roommate, all your food and alcohol and your excuse for staying inside. This weekend, venture out into D.C., and remember why you chose to go to school in the city (if not for infinite snow days).

Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

Try and forget how many times you’ve heard the song “Jordan Belfort” in the past month (yeah, we get it, he went to AU). Put on a long, beautiful velvet dress and make your way down to the Strathmore for BSO’s performance of Brahms Symphony No. 4. Even college kids can enjoy a night out to see the symphony with upper-tier tickets starting at $35 (that’s less than you “accidentally” spend at the Berks’ store.)

When: Saturday, Jan. 30 at 8 p.m.

Where: Music Center at The Strathmore, 5301 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda

Metro: Grosvenor/Strathmore, Red Line

Womanimal: Zine Art by Caroline Paquita

What college girl can deny a ‘90s style feminist zine? Caroline Paquita, Brooklyn-based zinester and founder of Pegacorn Press, strays from the classic punk zine with her own distinct style of harsh lines and mythological themes. Her drawings of half woman/half beast figures shed light on issues of gender and sexuality. The “Womanimal” exhibit, located in The National Museum of Women and the Arts, features Paquita’s zine-making over the past 18 years. Tickets to the exhibit are $8 for students.

When: Exhibit open Mondays to Fridays until May

Where: National Museum of Women and the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. NW

Metro: Metro Center, Red Line

Man Ray Films at The Hirshhorn

Visual artist Man Ray resisted common conventions in his photography and film, and his distinct work will be on display this weekend. This Sunday, The Hirshhorn will play four of Man Ray’s surrealist films, with intermittent discussions led by artist, Karen Yasinsky. Admission is free, unlike the supermug you just got at Chef Geoff’s (keeping the humor consistent).

When: Sunday, Jan. 31 at 3 p.m.

Where: Hirshhorn Museum., 700 Independence Ave. SE

Metro: L’Enfant Plaza, Green, Yellow and Orange Lines

kpappas@theeagleonline.com