Kanye is bringing G.O.O.D. Fridays back

Matt Holt breaks down Kanye West’s start to 2016.

Earlier last week, Kim Kardashian confirmed suspicions that G.O.O.D Fridays are back. Every Friday, West will release new music much to the delight of hip-hop fans around the world.

Although 2016 is only a week old, Kanye West has already made some considerable noise in the world of hip hop. On New Year's Eve, West dropped “Facts.

With production from Metro Boomin, arguably the hottest producer on the planet right now, Kanye definitely made a bass-filled, brash statement. In “Facts,” Kanye took shots at his old employer Nike, asserting that the clothing company treats its employees like slaves. He now works for Adidas, where his shoes sold better than they did at Nike.

Kanye proclaims “Yeezy, Yeezy Just Jumped Over Jumpman!” in the chorus of “Facts,” taking shots at Nike as well as Drake, who is signed to the Jordan Brand. His single “Jumpman” with Future was practically viral in 2015. Kanye is asserting himself as only Kanye can -- with rhymes that toe the line between confidence and arrogance. Kanye is essentially using Future and Drake’s flow in “Jumpman,” also produced by Metro Boomin. Essentially, Kanye is inferring that he’s better than Drake, Future and Michael Jordan. Kanye still has no chill.

Last Friday, Kanye dropped another single called ‘Real Friends’ with Ty Dolla $ign, along with a snippet of “No More Parties in LA” with Kendrick Lamar.

“Real Friends” is very different from “Facts.” The track discusses the human response to the unreliable bonds of friendship and family. West is convincing in the recalling of his trials and tribulations. With production from Frank Dukes, Boi 1da, Sevn Thomas and Mobb Deep's Havoc, the song oozes authenticity.

The snippet of “No Parties in LA” featuring Kendrick Lamar is nothing but a tease, lasting just over a minute long. The piece of the song, produced by the legendary Madlib, reveals Kanye’s chorus, where he pleads “Please baby, no more parties in LA” followed by a smooth one-two combination with Lamar. Kendrick’s verse is a tease, starting off strong and eventually fading out. Madlib, who gained his reputation in the ‘90s, delivers a beat that gives off a classic feel, perfect for rappers who are as talented as Kanye and Kendrick.

And if the return of G.O.O.D. Fridays wasn’t enough, Kanye also announced that he would be releasing his new album “SWISH” on Feb. 11.

Kanye is coming back to reclaim the throne of hip-hop after a quiet 2015 and phenomenal years from Drake and Kendrick Lamar.

If “Real Friend," “Facts" and “No More Parties in LA” are indicative of the new album, then we’re all in for a treat.

mholt@theeagleonline.com