Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Weekend Scene: November 13-15

The Scene suggests the best indoor activities to stay warm this weekend.

With the winter slowly settling in, The District offers a variety of cozy activities for those looking for fun indoor events. The Scene recommends a series of gallery openings, new museum exhibitions and tasty food festivals located across the city. So grab your winter coat and have a wonderful weekend with this Weekend Scene.

Art at the Airport Tower Exhibit

On Thursday, The National Air and Space Museum. opened a new exhibit called “Art of the Airport Tower,” a series of photographs showcasing national and international airports. In this exploration, Carolyn Russo explores the history and technological changes throughout history through her 50 images of airport towers.

When: Open through November 2016

Where: National Air and Space Museum

Independence Ave at 6th St., SW

Washington, DC 20560

Metro: Smithsonian, Yellow Line

Strathmore Museum Shop Around

Looking for the perfect holiday gift? Check out the 2nd annual Strathmore Museum Shop Around, na event which brings together 18 area museums and cultural shops selling their best, unique pieces. Admission is $9 and proceeds go toward helping Strathmore provide enriching art programs. The museum recommends that guests   purchase tickets in advance.

When: Nov. 12-15

Where: 10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda, MD.

Metro: Grosvenor, Red Line

Renwick Gallery

The Renwick Gallery will finally open its doors after a two year renovation. To celebrate, the Gallery will host a weekend full of free open houses and events, in addition to ticketed parties and celebrations. The official ribbon cutting takes place on Nov. 13., but the celebration doesn’t stop there. That evening will include a celebratory ticket-only gala, free open house and a ticketed beer and crafting event, followed by Saturday’s opening festival.

When: Nov. 13 and 14

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum, Pennsylvania Avenue at 17th Street

Metro: Farragut West, Blue, Orange, and Silver lines

The Emporiyum DC

From cookies to custard and crabs to chips, this year’s Emporiyum DC brings over 75 vendors from around the District to one central location for an incredible foodie event. Attendees can purchase delicious foods, thoughtful gifts and top-quality handcrafted products. Food and drinks, as well as a DJ accompany the event. Purchase tickets online for $15-$40. Highlights include Momofuku Milk Bar, Shake Shack and Buredo.

When: Nov. 14 and 15

Where: Dock 5 @ Union Market, 1309 5th St NE, Washington, DC 20002

Metro: NoMa/Gallaudet U, Red Line

aweg@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.