Weekend Scene: Thanksgiving D.C. “staycation” guide

For those of you staying in the District this Thanksgiving break, fear not. The Scene created a staycation survival guide to help you battle the holiday blues.

Restaurants

The Black Squirrel

Located in the heart of Adams Morgan, The Black Squirrel is known for its uniquely brewed beers and fun events such as its annual Thank You Thanksgiving Day Buffet. For less than $10, you can enjoy craft beers and your favorite holiday foods, including roast beef and pumpkin beer, at the annual buffet dinner.

Where: 2427 18th St. NW

Metro : Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan, Red Line

Old Ebbitt Grill

If you’re looking for something traditional this Thanksgiving, Old Ebbitt Grill is sure to please. Located across the street from the White House, this famous District restaurant plans to serve a “Traditional Turkey Dinner with all the trimmings,” a meal that will hit the spot and start off the holiday season right. Though a little pricier at $25.95 for adults, Old Ebbitt Grill offers one of the best deals you’ll be able to find for a classic Thanksgiving dinner.

Where: 2208 14th St. NW

Metro: U Street, Green and Yellow Lines

Events

Reston Town Center

For those looking to start the winter holiday season even before the final Thanksgiving pies have been consumed, Reston Town Center is the perfect place to visit. Featuring holiday parades, visits from Santa and a tree lighting, the Center offers everything you could want to kick-off the holidays in one central location. Though Reston sits just outside of the District lines, you can hop on the metro and visit this shopping plaza is less than an hour.

Where: 11900 Market St., Reston, VA

Metro: Wiehle-Reston East, Silver Line

When: Nov. 27, 2015, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Thanksgiving Day Trot for Hunger

This holiday, join SOME (So Others Might Eat) to help end hunger and homelessness. This annual 5K run offers great fun for individuals or for the whole family and provides an opportunity for you to fit in a workout before a big meal. Thanksgiving should consist of more than stuffing your face while watching football. This year, you can help give back to those less fortunate while keeping the extra holiday pounds at bay. Registration is still open, and you can secure your spot in the race here: https://secure2.convio.net/soome/site/TRR/Events/TROT13/1993753092?pg=utype&fr_id=1170

Where: Freedom Plaza at the corner of 13th Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Metro: Federal Triangel, Blue, Orange and Silver Lines

When: Nov. 26, 2015, 9 a.m.

Shopping on Small Business Saturday

Salt & Sundry

Salt & Sundry, a local boutique just off the red line, has received nationwide praise from Etsy and The Washington Post for its unique gifts and one-of-a-kind accessories. Featuring products such as Abe Lincoln flasks and yummy scented candles, this store sells a little something for everyone. Don’t forget your wallet when shopping at Salt & Sundry because gift prices run high, but these items bear a distinctive look and make for a perfect present.

Where: 1309 5th St. NE

Metro: NoMa-Gallaudet U, Red Line

Kramerbooks & Afterwords

Snug and packed to the brim with books of every kind, this D.C. bookstore and cafe is the ideal place to grab a caramel latte and an obscure book about the philosophy of figure skating. Also, if you’re missing the thrill of national chains, the President Barack Obama and his family visited the store last year, so you never know who you’ll bump into at this DuPont book shop.

Where: 1517 Connecticut Ave. NW

Metro: DuPont Circle, Red Line

The Phoenix

Rising from the ashes since 1955, this Georgetown shopping fixture is known for its impeccable taste in women’s fashion. For three generations, this boutique has worked closely and carefully with artists to provide quality artisanal products. Though prices are on the higher end, every dollar here is well spent.

Where:1514 Wisconsin Ave. NW

Metro Bus: 30N, 30S, 31, and 33 Buses, Wisconsin Ave NW & P Street NW

Activities

Ice Skating

As a favorite winter pastime, ice skating is a timeless activity that an individual, a group of friends or a romantic couple can partake in. Students may find the rink near the National Gallery of Art one of the most beautiful venues when compared to the plethora of ice skating rinks in the District. Surrounded by stunning sculptures and flanked by a quaint cafe, the Connecticut Avenue rink is fun and visually appealing.

Where: Constitution Avenue NW and 7th Street

Metro: Archives, Green and Yellow Lines

When: Nov. 14 to March 13

Making S’mores

Nothing screams “winter” quite like making s’mores. Cheap and tasty, this dessert will offer one the ability to eat a treat and cuddle up to a warm fire. For those of us who don’t have access to a fire pit, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel offers a fantastically free alternative. Every winter evening, the hotel will provide the materials to create this complimentary winter treat.

Where: 3100 South St. NW

Bus: D.C. Circulator, K Street NW & Wisconsin Ave NW

When: 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

smorgan@theeagleonline.com