Review: Taste of D.C.

The Scene went down to Taste of D.C. to try samples from D.C.’s best restaurants.

Hundreds of people gathered downtown to await the opening of the annual Taste of D.C. festival on Oct. 10 and 11. Taste of D.C. brings together foodies and wine connoisseurs each year to try endless samples of food and beverages.

More than 50 local restaurants and beloved food trucks stationed themselves on Pennsylvania Avenue to pass out flyers and sell food samples from their menus. The food stations ranged from Korean barbeque and Maggianos’ famous meatballs to Olivia Macaron’s delectable desserts.

The daylong event featured food stations for every budget, and one menu even boasted items for less than $3. Residents and visitors also had the opportunity to stroll through the beer garden and try over 50 different varieties of wine on the Wine Walk available to those who were over 21.

Visitors enjoy food and fun at the Taste of D.C. Festival (Camila DeChalus/The Eagle).

Marcelle Alves, an out of state resident visiting D.C. for the weekend, was elated by the Taste of D.C. experience.

“This is my first time at Taste of D.C,” Alves said, “I think it’s great. I am learning about all the food D.C. has to offer, and I would have never gotten a chance to try them if I didn’t come.”

Several popular food stations stood out from the rest. At the La Tasca, people hovered around the booth to inhale the aroma of fresh spices and roasted meat. The chefs prepared their well-known cheesy beef empanadas of Spanish style rice and bacon wrapped tapas.

A block away from the station, crowds of people waited in line for over an hour to try District Doughnut’s special Pumpkin Crème Brûlée mini doughnuts. Covered in honey glaze and filled with a sweet pumpkin creme, these small doughnuts fulfilled the desires of those who waited in line to taste the dessert. District Doughnut also sells a variety of other flavors like Brown Butter, Salted Dulce de Leche and Chai Tea Creme Brûlée.

Attendees also had the opportunity to participate in a wide array of entertainment activities such as watching chef cook-offs on the culinary stage and listening to live music from local bands.

The ample food options and fun game activities proved once again that the annual Taste of D.C doesn’t fail to disappoint its loyal customers and first-time guests. The event left many stomachs full and many hearts inspired to go out and visit the many restaurants D.C. has to offer.