Photo Credit: Anusheh KhanChicken Empanada from D.C. Empanadas ($4)

Farewell Truckeroo

The Scene enjoyed a variety of meals offered by the District's food trucks gathered at the Fairgrounds.

What do lobster rolls, shawarma, empanadas, cupcakes and cheesecake all have in common? They could all be found at Truckeroo, the District’s most popular food truck event. Truckeroo, a monthly festival held from April through Oct. 9 at the Fairgrounds in Southeast, included different food trucks from all over the city.

IMG_4485.JPG

Hand Dipped Cheesecake from Sweets Cheesecake ($5)

At Truckeroo, the food trucks provided quick food for busy people on the go. With over 20 food trucks vendors, the event offered endless possibilities.

Food trucks covered the Fairgrounds from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m on October 9th. Each food truck portrayed its own personality, with different colors and pictures displaying its theme. Photos of food from different cultures, including Korean barbeque, Middle Eastern shawarmas and Spanish tapas decorated the trucks. Customers lined up at the window of the trucks, sat on benches to enjoy their food and watched the concerts on the stage.

IMG_4492.JPG

Nutella Crepe from Crepe Love ($8)

D.C. Empanadas offered delicious empanadas for just $4. Fillings for the empanadas included chicken, shrimp, beef and vegetables. Halal Grill sold shawarma for $6.50 and rice platters for $9. Customers could also order lamb or chicken with pita bread or with rice off the truck’s menu. Red Hook Lobster Pound provided lobster rolls for $15, offered Maine or Connecticut style to customers.

IMG_4482.JPG

Gyro over rice from Halal Grill ($9)

After a shawarma or lobster roll, customers could delight in a variety of sweets courtesy of several different dessert trucks. Sweets Cheesecake created a unique way to sell cheesecake: a large piece of cheesecake was frozen, put on a stick and sold to customers hand dipped in chocolate for $5. Crepe Love offered sweet and savory crepes for $8. Servers made each crepe in front of the customers, wrapped the item in a cone and handed out the snack fresh and hot.

While food trucks can be found all over the city throughout the year, there is nothing better than having all of them in one location. Customers could grab food for lunch, dinner and anything in between. With such a diverse menu, everyone could find something they love at Truckeroo.

IMG_4484.JPG

Maine Lobster Roll from Red Hook Lobster Pound ($15)

Where: 1299 Half St SE, Washington, D.C. 20003

Metro: Navy Yard Metro Station, Green line