Concert Preview: Kurt Vile to bring americana performance to the 9:30 Club

The Philadelphia indie guitarist will perform music from his latest album.

Fresh off the Sept. 25 release of his new album “b’lieve i’m goin down,” mellow indie rocker Kurt Vile will take the 9:30 Club stage on Oct. 8.

Like fellow indie guru Ty Segall, who pumps out albums like a sonic assembly line, Vile has managed to cultivate his own unique style early in his career. But unlike Segall, Vile’s musical influences span psychedelic, folk and country genres.

Since its release, “b’lieve i’m goin down” has been praised by both SPIN and Pitchfork.

In addition to Vile’s Tom Petty-esque flat and rusty vocals, his instrumentation creates a unique blend of Americana, country and folk. Notable songs off the record include “Pretty Pimpin,” “All in a Daze Work” and “Life Like This.”

While Vile is definitely the headliner of the night, opening act Waxahatchee is also a must-see performance. With the release of her third album, “Ivy Tripp,” in April, Waxahatchee received praise for her scratchy punk medleys.

In addition to Waxahatchee, acoustic performer Luke Roberts will perform a set of soothing guitar melodies prior to Vile’s headlining set.

An evening stacked with three unique indie rock artists, the Oct. 8 performance at the 9:30 Club will be a great way for AU students to start off their fall break.

Kurt Vile will perform at the 9:30 Club on Oct. 8. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are available for $25.

zewell@theeagleonline.com