CRASH

Car flips in Ward Circle in the middle of afternoon traffic

A black Honda Pilot flipped over onto its side in the middle of Ward Circle in a collision Friday afternoon that left at least three cars damaged.

Sophomore Kay McCarthy was across the street from Ward Circle near the Kay Spiritual Life Center when she heard a loud crunching sound. McCarthy, a student in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Communication, said she saw the Pilot hit the curb and flip onto its side on the grass in the middle of the circle.

Witnesses ran to the car to see if anyone was hurt, McCarthy said. The driver was the only person in the car. It took between 10 and 25 minutes for ambulances to arrive, she said.

A man from the flipped Pilot was seen sitting in the grass as first responders tended to him, and photographs from News2Share show the man being carried away on a stretcher, strapped to neck and spine stabilizers.

A damaged maroon Honda Civic with a dented front passenger side fender was parked next to the middle of the traffic circle. McCarthy said she saw a passenger, who did not seem injured, exit the backseat. The driver also appeared unharmed.

Betsy Mangone and Judy Myers, who were on campus for their 50th class reunion, said they walked past the scene around 3:00 p.m. Three ambulances and a fire truck were still there at the time, Myers said.

In addition to the Pilot and Civic, Mangone and Myers said they saw a damaged gray van, half on the road, half on the grass, being towed. Traffic was backed up until police arrived, they said.

Two police cars were still on the scene at around 3:30 p.m. Traffic was moving smoothly at that time.

Metropolitan Police officers on the scene confirmed there was a crash but declined to comment.

ebloomberg@theeagleonline.com

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.