TDR-tijuana

After student uproar, University releases message about TDR worker's passing

The school is creating a protocol for sending out messages about the deaths of service workers.

AU Housing and Dining released a statement this morning announcing the death of TDR worker Tijuana Saunders, who passed away this summer.

Saunders, who had worked at AU for seven years, was well-known among students and staff, The Eagle previously reported. Several students were angered after the school initially gave no notice of her death.

Assistant Vice President of Housing and Dining Services Chris Moody sent an email to all students with a Fall 2015 meal plan recognizing Saunders as a tenured member of the AU community and beloved employee.

“The sense of loss expressed by many students this week is a testament to her deep connections to the AU community,” the statement said. “Our thoughts and condolences are with Ms. Saunders’ family, friends, and AU community members who valued her presence in their lives.”

In a statement to The Eagle, Moody said the University did not know about Saunders’ death until students contacted the school.

“Ms. Saunders was a valued member of the dining services team in the Terrace Dining Room, as the person often welcoming students into this important community space,” Moody said in the statement.

AU is developing protocol for informing students about the passage of contracted workers, according to Carlos Mark Vera, the founder of Exploited Wonk, a campaign to advocate for AU service workers. Saunders was subcontracted by food service provider Aramark and was not a direct University employee.

Vera said in a Facebook post that he had been in contact with the administration about Saunders’ death. He also submitted a Today@AU announcement regarding the University’s email sent out this morning.

“[T]here was no set protocol on informing the AU community of the passing away of contracted workers," Vera wrote in his post. "Due to the outpouring of support for TJ and our cause, AU is CREATING a PROTOCOL for informing us on the deaths of Aramark employees in a timely manner."

The post had received 296 likes, two shares and 15 comments as of 12:38 p.m.

sscovel@theeagleonline.com