"Where Hope Grows"

Movie Review: “Where Hope Grows”

“Where Hope Grows” follows the journey of Calvin Campbell, a washed-up, former professional baseball player who has turned to alcohol as a remedy for his feelings of inadequacy. He struggles to communicate with his teenage daughter, who is disappointed in his alcoholism and unemployment. But everything changes when Calvin goes grocery shopping and meets Produce, a young man with Down syndrome, who teaches Calvin to see things through a brighter lens.

Actor Kristoffer Polaha (“Life Unexpected”) effectively portrays Calvin as a hopeless and pathetic man who still dreams of his glory days. The most pitiful scene comes toward the end of the film when Calvin’s alcoholism reaches its peak. He walks drunkenly to the local high school baseball field in the rain and desperately attempts to relive his golden years by running the bases. He fails to make it around the field, ultimately falling in the mud and passing out. Calvin’s fixation on his past baseball success defines him as a character, but Polaha fully rounds out Calvin’s character by also portraying his lack of interpersonal skills. Calvin only knows how to communicate through baseball, which is made evident when he tries giving his daughter advice by comparing her boyfriend to a fastball.

The co-star of the movie is Produce, a positive, loving and somewhat naïve young man played by David DeSanctis in his film debut. Produce’s primary desire is to be selected as “Employee of the Month” at the grocery store. Produce brings out Calvin’s tender and sensitive side, teaching him how to love again while simultaneously repairing and becoming a part of the Campbell family.

The weakest link of the film comes from the performance of McKaley Miller (“Hart of Dixie”), the young actress who portrays Calvin’s daughter Katie. Her acting is stiff and at times overdone, and her character meets every cliché in the angsty teenage girl handbook. Throughout the movie, Katie dates Colt, a teenage boy played by Michael Grant (“The Secret Life of the American Teenager”), and she stays in the relationship despite Colt’s verbal abuse, egotistical personality and manipulative actions.

The film takes a dark turn when Produce becomes critically injured in a car accident, but the accident itself forces the characters to ponder the value and brevity of life as well as the importance of kindness. The film successfully challenges the stereotypes associated with Down Syndrome, such as an inability to relate to others and understand emotions and a dependence on other people. Produce proves to be a functional, intelligent and compassionate character who spreads joy to those around him.

The film, directed by Chris Dowling, suffers from a lackluster and cliché plot, but Polaha and DeSanctis deliver solid performances, and the audience can’t help but be touched by the unconventional yet heartwarming relationship between the characters.

Grade: B-

“Where Hope Grows” (PG-13, 95 min) is now playing at Regal Gallery Place Stadium.

amaier@theeagleonline.com