D.C. Bucket List

The Scene’s summer 2015 bucket list

The Scene has provided you with a bucket list to fulfill your D.C. summer fantasy.

Summer is here, and students in the District finally have the opportunity to enjoy four school-free months while soaking up the warm weather of the nation’s capital. But what should Washingtonians do on these long, hot and humid days? The Scene has you covered with the best books to read, movies to see and places to go during the summer of 2015.

Books to read

• “Saint Anything” by Sarah Dessen: In Dessen’s newest novel, “Saint Anything,” the novelist introduces readers to the life of Sydney, a young girl often overshadowed by her attractive, extroverted brother, Peyton. After Peyton ends up behind bars for his involvement in a drunk-driving accident, Sydney finds herself on her own. She soon meets the Chatham family, who throw her into a new life of acceptance, love, friendship and understanding.
  • “The Girl on the Train” by Paula Hawkins: Mystery and adventure fill the pages of Hawkins newest best-selling novel. The book opens with a story told by the main character, Rachel, who spends her commute on the train each day observing the people around her and creating imaginary stories about their lives. However, one day during a normal train ride, something catches Rachel’s eye, and she finds herself instantly involved in a thrilling adventure that grips the reader from start to finish.

Events to attend

• SummerFest DC (June 13): This D.C. festival offers attendees the best wine and beer in the District. The event takes place at Fairgrounds and includes over 100 beers, 30 wines and 10 ciders from across the world, as well as live music and games. The festival also has a wide variety of food available for purchase. All attendees must be 21 or older, and tickets are available online for $40 to $70, depending on which session of the festival you plan to attend.

Where: Fairgrounds

Metro: Navy Yard, Green Line

• Smithsonian Folklife Festival (June 24-28 and July 1-5): Every year, the Smithsonian Folklife Festival sets out to explore a different country’s culture for two weeks. This year, the festival will offer an immersive experience into the culture of Peru. The festival includes projects and organizations that highlight the current social changes occurring in Peru. Attendees can further explore Peru’s culture through crafts, food, technology, music and dance every day of the festival starting at 11 a.m. The festival is held outdoors on the National Mall and is free to attend.

Where: National Mall

Metro: Smithsonian, Blue and Orange Line; Metro Center, Red Line

Food to eat

• Takorean: You should chase down this Korean food truck for delicious Korean BBQ tacos. Takorean’s tacos are a unique combination of Mexican and Korean cuisine. Customers can order traditional tacos or open faced tacos as a rice bowl and add a protein, slaw and toppings, with tons of vegetarian options. The traveling eatery announces its location on its website and Twitter.
  • China Chilcano: Head over to this new restaurant and try the craziest combination of Asian-fusion and Peruvian cuisine. The establishment offers dim sum, salads, Peruvian meats, soups, sushi, sashimi and other traditional asian dishes.

Where: 418 7th St., NW

Metro: Gallery Pl-Chinatown, Red Line

Netflix shows to watch

• “Between” (available May 21): This Canadian science-fiction drama and web series will launch as Netflix’s newest TV show. “Between” stars Jennette McCurdy, who plays the pregnant daughter of a minister living in a small town. Inside McCurdy’s town, a mysterious, lethal disease spreads, killing nearly everyone over the age of 21. Drama and suspense will grip viewers for the six one-hour episodes of “Between.”
  • “Hot Girls Wanted” (available May 29): This Netflix-produced documentary film investigates the secrets of the amateur porn industry and the women involved.

Movies to see

• “Jurassic World” (June 12): The sequel to the original dinosaur adventure returns 22 years later. The new film centers around “Jurassic World,” a theme park on Isla Nublar from the original movie, where over 20,000 people visit a day. In the movie, visitors get up close and personal with real life dinosaurs at the theme park. Of course, the story unfolds with crazy, unexpected and dangerous circumstances. This movie is a must-see for those who love the original Jurassic Park franchise.
  • “Vacation” (July 31): This modern take on an old comedy is the fifth of the National Lampoon’s Vacation series. Grown-up Rusty Griswold (Ed Helms) feels like his family needs some bonding, so he surprises his wife, Debbie (Christina Applegate) and their two sons, James (Skyler Gisondo) and Kevin (Steele Stebbins) with a cross-country trip to Walley World. The movie is a great laugh, and a definite bucket list item for anyone who loves the previous National Lampoon’s Vacation series.

aweg@theeagleonline.com

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.