Weekend Scene 4/3

The Weekend Scene: April 3-5

NPR would be so proud of you if you went to this weekend’s events.

In this weekend’s guide, we wanted to provide a few brain-stimulating events. We know how stressed your brain probably is, but a little TEDx, math art and world music never hurt anyone. Anyway, you will make NPR and your high school Algebra teacher proud.

TEDx Foggy Bottom

Want to be rebellious? If so, this year’s TEDx conference in Foggy Bottom may be the conference for you. This full day conference will bring together innovators and change-makers to speak about what’s inside all of us: rebellion. Scientists, journalists, pediatricians and even the CEO of Elevation Burger will speak at this event. You can find a full list of speakers on the event’s website. Tickets are available online for $20.

When: Friday, April 3, 9 a.m.

Where: George Washington University’s Lisner Auditorium, 730 21st Street, NW

Metro: Foggy Bottom

Hiroshi Sugimoto: Conceptual Forms/Mathematical Models

If you enjoy mathematical models and art, you may find pleasure in Hiroshi Sugimoto’s exhibit “Conceptual Forms/Mathematical Models.” Sugimoto works as a photographer who focuses on the transience of life and the conflict between life and death. He has said his photographs serve as time capsules for his life. For this exhibit, Sugimoto photographed mathematical models at the University of Tokyo and then began manufacturing these models into aluminum and stainless steel via computer-controlled milling machines. The exhibit features six photographic works and three sculptures. The event costs $12 for adults, $10 for students and is free for visitors 18 and under.

When: Saturday, April 4, 10 a.m.

Where: The Phillips Collection, 1600 21st Street, NW

Metro: Dupont Circle, Red Line

Taraf de Locos at Bossa Bistro and Lounge

You know those impossibly talented people who come from incredibly musical families? What about those lucky few who were able to spend summers in the mountains on camp cabin porches? Taraf de Locos combines those enviable groups into one band. These childhood friends, who met at the aforementioned magical camp, are still friends and put their worldly talents together as a band. Expect to be lifted to an almost NPR-esque level of obscure world music. Taraf de Locos uses musical themes from Spain, Brazil, Cuba and more. Whatever country you prefer, it all comes together with this vibrant band. $5-8.

When: Sunday, April 5, 8 p.m.

Where: Bossa Bistro and Lounge, 2463 18th Street, NW

Metro: 96 bus from Tenleytown to 18th Street in Adams Morgan

frodriguez@theeagleonline.com

jsmith@theeagleonline.com