Wrestling handed losses in doubleheader matches vs. Columbia and Hofstra

The Eagles traveled up to New York, NY this weekend to take on Columbia and Hofstra, two EIWA conference opponents. The back-to-back matches took place within hours of each other Sunday, Jan. 25. After a tight 23-14 loss to Columbia, the Eagles were unable to match Hofstra either and eventually lost 26-14.

With these pair of losses, the Eagles (5-6, 1-3 EIWA) are now on a four match losing streak.

AU started their day versus Columbia. The first bout started off strong in the Eagles favor, as it often does when No. 16 David Terao heads to the mat. The 125 pound junior was able to win the 7-4 decision.

After a hard fought 7-6 decision loss from freshman 133 pound Josh Terao, the match continued to have back and forth victories between the schools. Freshman Michael Sprague earned the 11-2 major decision over Columbia’s 141-pounder Chris Araoz.

In a surprising defeat, AU captain John Boyle lost the 4-3 decision, after coming into the weekend with a record of 24-5. The next two matches the Lions dominated with a 16-1 technical fall over sophomore Brad Mutchnik and a 2:16 fall over freshman Nick Carey.

Freshman 184-pounder Jeric Kasunic was able to break Columbia’s three bout winning streak with a 3:23 fall over Zack Hernandez. The first year grappler moved into the starting lineup replacing Jason Grimes. After competing at 174 pounds in the beginning of the season, Kasunic has been competing at 184 pounds since late Dec.

With late victories in 197-pound weight class and heavyweight class the Lions were able to seal their 23-16 victory over the Eagles.

The second match versus Hofstra started much like the first match versus Columbia. No. 16 Terao won the 5-3 decision over Bryan Damon to extend his total win-loss record to 26-3.

Hofstra outmatched AU with a pair of ranked wrestlers. No. 19 Jamel Hudson recorded a 8-3 decision over Sprague while No. 16 Cody Ruggirello earned a 1:48 fall over sophomore Tom Page.

Boyle momentarily stopped the Prides winning streak with a 3-2 decision over Jahlani Callender.

The next two bout wins gave Hofstra the lead. The Eagles were however able to wrestle back into the match with back-to-back major decisions. Kasunic earned his second win over the day recording one of the major decisions, while sophomore Brett Dempsey recorded the other.

The Prides lead by six points going into the last bout of the match. Heavyweight Michael Hughes was able to hold off an Eagle comeback defeating Chris McDermand in a 4:07 fall.

The Eagles continue on the road as they travel to North Carolina for four duals over the the weekend. AU will battle Drexel University and Duke University in Durham, N.C. on Sat. Jan. 31. The next day they will take on Gardner-Webb University and Davidson College in Davidson, N.C.

jreyes@theeagleonline.com