Concert Preview: Nick Hakim returns to his D.C. roots at U Hall

The Brooklyn, New York based singer-songwriter Nick Hakim will return to his D.C. roots and headline at U Street Music Hall on Jan. 24. Adrianne Lenker will be the opening performer.

Hakim began releasing snippets of his music on Soundcloud less than a year ago. The 23-year-old was quickly spotted by The FADER, the first major music publication to premiere his work. Hakim quickly made waves on indie music blogs like Stereogum, Pigeons & Planes, All Things Go and Brooklyn Vegan.

This summer, Hakim released his debut EP, “Where Will We Go Pt. 1” on his label Earseed Records, followed by the sequencing installment, “Where Will We Go Pt. 2” EP in September. “I was caught in a hazy gloom, alone in my room, filled up with booze while writing this music,” he said about the EP. “I would write very early in the morning after nights of no sleep. Dunkin Donuts coffee was my friend. I would set up a mic, record, and later make sense of whatever came out.”

About two months ago, Hakim caught the eye of Billboard with his vinyl release, and he has been sweeping more listeners away with his emotionally heavy and rich soul tunes ever since. His genre bending music weaves elements of blues and psychedelic elements.

Tickets for the show are available here. Doors are scheduled at 7:00 p.m.

sgore@theeagleonline.com