Second half goals by Lafayette sink AU Women’s Soccer

The Eagles started with an early lead against Lafayette University on Sept. 18 in Easton, Pennslyvania but relinquished their lead early in the second half, losing 2-1 to the Leopards.

Sophomore forward Hayley Mullins notched her first goal of the season for the Eagles, and senior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger made four saves, but their efforts were not enough to save AU, who dropped its eighth consecutive match.

Both the Eagles (3-12-0, 0-6-0 PL) and Leopards (5-8-0, 2-4-0 PL) had chances to take the lead early in the match in a back-and-forth first half. AU freshman Sam DePinho sent a shot destined to go into the net but hit the post.

The Eagles earned a breakthrough in the 44th minute from freshman forward Kaylee Hillard. Hillard broke down the right side of the Leopards defense before cutting inside and sending in a low cross. Mullins slotted the ball into the empty net for a goal.

The Leopards snatched control of the game within the first two minutes of the second half when they scored two goals nearly back to back. In the 47th minute, Kaelin King worked the ball down the left wing before crossing the ball into the box. The ball skipped beyond the reach of several Leopards forwards before falling to the feet of sophomore midfielder Elizabeth Scoda, who rifled the ball beyond AU’s Belanger to tie the game at one.

Lafayette took the lead less than 90 seconds later when sophomore midfielder Joanna Scotti’s cross from the left wing fooled Belanger, and the ball floated over her head and into the goal.

AU tried to fight back and salvage a draw, but they were only able to register two second half shots and one second half corner kick. AU’s best chance at equalizing came of the foot of senior forward Lindsey Muri, but her shot from distance was saved away by Layfayette second half substitute freshman goalkeeper Kelly O’Brien.

The Eagles currently sit in last place in the Patriot League standings, having lost every conference matchup thus far. If the Eagles don’t win the next three remaining games of the season, they will notch their worst season since the 2000 season, when they went 2-13-2 overall and 1-7-0 in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Eagles return home on Oct. 22 to face the University of Loyola, Maryland at 3 p.m. in hopes of ending their eight-game losing streak.