Jose Antonio Vargas says immigration reform requires cultural change

The baggage associated with discussing immigration usually centers around stereotypes and not enough understanding of the full scope of the problem, according to immigration activist Jose Antonio Vargas, who spoke at AU on Oct. 6.

Vargas aimed to give that full scope when he spoke at the second Kennedy Political Union event of the year. Vargas, who is an undocumented immigrant, urged Americans to take ownership of the immigration issue as an “American issue” during his talk.

Vargas is a former journalist at the Washington Post who shared a 2008 Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings. He made his immigration status public in a New York Times magazine article in 2011. Vargas then founded Define American, which he described in his speech as a media and culture campaign to change how people talk about immigration. In collaboration with CNN and Define American, Vargas wrote and directed the film “Documented” in 2013, which details his life story.

At the event, many students asked Vargas how they could get involved in activism.

“I think it’s only fitting that [AU] have a Define American chapter,” Vargas said, followed by applause.

He also promoted the power of social media, mentioning young immigrants who challenge politicians such as Hillary Clinton on immigration issues and then share it online.

Although he believes congressional reform is likely dead this year, Vargas said he is hopeful that young immigrants will push for political change and hold government officials accountable.

“I think the conversation has always been about how politicians and the parties frame it, and to me that has been unhelpful,” Vargas said. “The big x-factor is how young, tech savvy DREAMers are going to use technology to get their stories out and to reframe the conversation.”

The term “DREAMers” refers to immigrants who came to the United States illegally and have certain rights under the Dream Act.

A few students at the event spoke about family members who are undocumented. Julian Gomez, a senior in the School of Communication, said he is undocumented. Gomez was two years old when his parents brought him to the U.S.

Another student talked about her undocumented father and the anxiety it causes her. She said she has panic attacks because she worries about her parents splitting up.
“It’s a topic that no one wants to touch,” she said, and asked Vargas for help on what to do.

Vargas praised the power of conversation in solving the problems undocumented immigrants face.

“You’re living in the most polarizing time this country has seen,” Vargas said. “Figuring out how to actually talk to people and connect with people, that’s the challenge.”

cdil@theeagleonline.com