UnWired: Dealing with Apple, the overbearing mother of tech companies

Each week in UnWired, columnist Sophia Barnes will bridge the gap between Silicon Valley and AU, exploring issues of technology as they intersect with the AU community.

Apple is the overbearing mother of technology companies.

There. I said it. I’ve been thinking it since Apple announced its first smartwatch.

Apple announced the smartwatch with a 10-minute video outlining the utility, aesthetics and innovation poured into this wearable iDevice. The British man on the video croons, “We are now at a compelling beginning, actually designing technology to be worn. To be truly personal.” Personalization becomes the overriding theme of the advertisement. Customers customize their straps, screensavers, apps and favorite people.

Apple and personalization mix like your new nose ring and your mom before family Thanksgiving. Even if you win, it’s a fight.

Apple automatically organizes files in its architecture (“you MUST put videos in the Movies folder, dear”), which sent video editors fleeing from Final Cut Pro. iPhones only allow Apple store apps in the device, part of the reason Android dominates the smartphone market.

iDevices can only hang out with iDevices, and can only connect to mobile Internet through pre-selected, mom-approved carriers. Asking if you would like your juice in a cup or a mug is not true personalization – you’re still drinking juice. It’s decorative customization, imparting the impression of consumer choice.

Like rebellious teenagers, consumers will not tolerate Mother Apple’s hovering much longer. The Apple Watch – slated for release next year – continues Apple’s restrictive practices.

Jack Morris, a junior CLEG major, is the type of tech-savvy consumer that Apple alienates by hovering. He owns a Pebble smartwatch, which can connect to any phone with Bluetooth. Apple’s version will not have this freedom, which is a problem for people who are wary of buying only iDevices.

“The iWatch will be tied into Apple’s ecosystem of hardware and software that many of us already want to escape. The Pebble, however, allows users to use both Android and iOS operating systems, allowing for more flexibility in moving across software ecosystems,” he said.

Consumers can only exploit the coolest and most innovative features of the Apple Watch if they choose the Apple ecosystem. And the Apple ecosystem is an expensive one to live in. Apple offers some amazing products, but you will dig deep into your pockets for any iDevice.

Where the Pebble costs around $150, the Apple watch will cost more than twice the amount at $350. The gold-plated version will cost even more. Then, you need an iPhone 5 (minimum $450 full retail price currently) or newer to sync the gadget. That’s a high price tag to do it Apple’s way.

The goal of wearable technology is to seamlessly weave technology into our lives. Proponents of smartwear like the smartwatch or even Google Glass want their digital connection without unplugging from reality.

Technology cannot be integrated with consumers’ lives if they are restricted to Apple’s methodology and organization, especially as consumers gain deeper understanding of technology and yearn to personalize it. Technology will not be personalized and integrated into our lives as a $350 status symbol that allows aesthetic customization and little else.

Apple delivered revolutionary technology with iPod, iTunes, iPad and iPhone, which made their authoritarianism bearable. But Apple loses its prestige – and therefore, its permission to say “Oh honey, you should organize THIS way!” and “Sweetie, you can only shop at this store!” – when it ensnares existing technology into its regime instead of birthing something new.

Apple needs to adapt to its savvy market, truly empower consumers to personalize and integrate technology, and let all the Apple-phile baby birds fly out of Mother’s nest.