TDR expanded and renovated for new school year

Extensive reconstruction of both its kitchens and its menu gave the Terrace Dining Room a fresh look for the fall semester.

The revamped dining hall, equipped with upgraded and energy efficient appliances, promises diners more options and a better overall experience, according to Director of Dining and Dining Services Ken Chadwick.

“I think all of our University community will be delighted at the improvements that have been made which will allow us to better serve everyone,” Chadwick said.

For diners with traditional diets, the opening of the renovated sites means the return of several stations, including the “Chopping Block,” which serves a diverse plate that represents every food group. Since the Chopping Block is one of AU’s most popular stations according to Chadwick, the new renovations have increased its size.

The Gluten Free station and the “Worry Free Pantry” were also expanded as part of the renovations. With the renovation came a Gluten Free kitchen, complete with physical barriers to help prevent cross contamination.

Jo-Ann Jolly, the University’s registered dietician, assures that there will be a “more robust menu” with the addition of the new kitchen, especially for those with specific diet needs.

“There will definitely be more options for gluten-free eaters besides just going to the ‘Worry Free’ zone,” Jolly said.

School of International Service sophomore Bretton Caws, a gluten-free eater, is pleased by the promises made by the dining staff.

TDR is awesome, I just wish there were more options since I’m gluten-free,” Caws said. “I want there to be distinct gluten options, not just a meal that combines vegan, vegetarian, kosher, whatever, into one dish. No more tofu!”

Rather than being isolated to one particular section of TDR, foods that support restricted diets will now be found at almost every station. In particular, the “Friend of the Farmer” station, which serves fresh vegetables and grains, is an anticipated hit, according to Head Chef Norbert Roesch. Food in “Friends of the Farmer” is locally grown from with a 250 mile radius, he said.

“I want there to be distinct gluten options,
not just a meal that combines vegan, vegetarian, kosher, whatever, into one dish. No more tofu!”
— Bretton Caws, SIS sophomore

In addition to the Friends of Farmers station and the Gluten Free/Worry Free Pantry, the “new TDR” will also cater to vegetarians and vegans in all areas of the dining facility. Chadwick and some members of his staff decided to become vegan to guarantee that there will always be fresh options for vegan and vegetarian eaters.

“I wanted to make sure we were providing the students with sufficient dining options,” Chadwick said.

Chadwick plans to continue the vegan diet for the remainder of the school year, so that he can share in the same experience as many of his diners. Along with Jolly and Roesch, Chadwick is working to create better menus for those with restricted diets.

Although only one side of TDR has been redesigned, plans for the other side are set to start in the summer of 2015, according to Chadwick.

AU will host a welcome dinner on Sept. 9 starting at 5 p.m. to celebrate the finished renovations. Suggestions for the menu can be tweeted to AU Dining @AUHDP.

“My staff and I are excited to have our diners see the work we have done both outside and inside the kitchen,” Chadwick said.