Muri, Donovan power Women’s Soccer past Howard

The Eagles got back on the winning track by dominating the Howard Bison by a score of 3-0 on Sept. 10.

From the opening whistle, the Eagles took control of the game in all aspects. Senior forward Lindsey Muri scored two goals for the Eagles, while junior forward Kelly Donovan put one in the back net as well as assisted on both of Muri’s goals.

“To score three goals and to see Kelly and Lindsay have that partnership up top has been really good” second-year head coach Anabel Hering said. “We’ve been struggling with keeping consistent forwards, and I think now we have a little bit more consistency up top which is awesome.”

The scoring opened in the 14th minute when Donovan’s cross from outside the box fell into Muri’s feet, and she buried the goal from a yard away. Senior defender Michaela Cowgill also assisted on the play.

Four minutes later, Donovan almost scored, but a fantastic save from the Bisons (0-4-1) goalkeeper Kyra Dickinson kept the Eagles (3-4-0, 0-0-0 PL) from doubling the score in the first 20 minutes of the game. Going into halftime, AU led 1-0.

The Eagles experienced great success as a result of their even strength in every position. In the first half, five substitutions were made, but the changes did not impact their strong presence.

“There’s no dropoff. When we put a sub in you see the same intensity as the starters and that breaks teams down,” Hering said.

The Eagles picked up right where they left off at the start of the second half, scoring just 2 minutes in. This time, Muri crossed the ball in the box to Donovan, who slammed it home from four yards away. As well as Muri, senior midfielder Nicole Paviglionite assisted on the play. The quick strike from the Eagles deflated any hope of a Howard comeback.

Muri and Donovan linked up for the Eagles third and final goal in the 68th minute. Donovan’s dazzling runs proved to be a thorn in the left side of the Howard defense, as this time she sprinted past the defense, drew the keeper from her goal, chipped it over her head for Muri to finish the goal from point blank range.

Howard had a little bit more of the ball in the second half but never really concerned the rock-solid Eagle defense. Senior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger was only called on to make two saves, while the Howard keeper Dickinson was forced to make save.

The Eagles dominated throughout, drawing seven corner kicks to Howard’s zero. The Eagles also outshot Howard 30 to five, with 11 of the shots being on goal.

AU travels to Virginia Commonwealth University for their next game on Sunday, Sept. 14. This is their last game before Patriot League conference play opens at Lehigh on Sept. 20.