Late goal propels Men’s Soccer past Penn

With two minutes left on the clock, sophomore Jake Garcia scored, sealing the victory for The Eagles.

The Eagles, ranked No.12 in the nation, won 2-1 against the University Pennsylvania in a tough away game in Philadelphia on Sept. 18.

“Penn is an excellent team so we are very happy to get the win,” head coach Todd West said. “This game could have gone either way, but credit to the team and Dale Ludwig and Jake Garcia for finding the game winner.”

The game was scoreless for 71 minutes until senior midfielder Mark Plasiance found the bottom left corner of the net from outside of the 18-yard box to notch the first goal for the Eagles (6-1-0, 0-0) .

University of Pennsylvania (2-3-0, 0-0-0) equalized the score five minutes later when sophomore forward Alec Neumann scored off of a well-placed drop pass from senior forward Duke Lacroix.

Strong defensive performances from both teams kept the score tight, but AU pulled away in the final minutes. Sophomore forward Ludwig sent a low-cross from the right side to Garcia, who found the back of the net and sealed the victory for the Eagles.

AU held Penn shotless for the remainder of the game, but AU junior goalkeeper Dylan Hobert made four saves critical throughout the match to secure the fifth consecutive win for the Eagles.

The Eagles return to Reeves Field on Sept. 23 to take on University of Hartford at 3 p.m.