AU and WMATA partner to provide late night service after Nationals games

Clarification appended.

AU and Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority announced a partnership that will provide fans attending Washington Nationals postseason games late-night Metrorail service from the Navy Yard-Ballpark Station.

Metro service will be provided as necessary for any games that run later than 10:30 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays according to Washington Metropolitan Area Transit press release.

The services will extend as late as 1:20 a.m. in the event of a rain delayed game, almost two hours later than normal service. Under the Metro’s normal schedule, the latest train to depart with connections to other lines leaves Navy Yard at 11:20 p.m. Sunday through Thursdays.

“AU is known for helping people in Washington ‘get to where they want to go’ — and now supports the Nats fans in postseason play,” AU President Neil Kerwin said about the partnership.

Clawed Z Eagle and Nationals mascot Teddy Roosevelt helped break the news by emerging from the Tenleytown Metro stop to a crowd of excited AU Blue Crew members. The two mascots danced and hugged each other to represent the partnership between the Nationals, AU, and Metro.

AU will be putting down $30,000 deposit to keep the Metro running throughout the playoffs if needed, according to Washington City Paper. The Metro will give back part of the deposit depending on the number of riders during the extra hour of service.

The games this service can possible effect are
Game 5 of the National League Division Series on Thursday, Oct. 9.
Game 2 of the National League Championship Series on Sunday, Oct.12
Game 7 of the National League Championship Series on Sunday, Oct.19
Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday, Oct. 26.

All of the games except for the National League Division Series game are contingent on the Nationals winning.

Confirmation of the Metro schedules will be made through in-stadium announcements and Twitter posts. While only the Navy Yard-Ballpark Station will remain open with the extended late hours, riders will be able to exit at all 90 other Metrorail stations.

“This partnership continues American University’s leadership in promoting the use of public transportation to all of the great activities and events here in the Nation’s Capital,” Richard Sarles, Metro General Manager and CEO said in a statement regarding the announcement of late-night Metro service.

Clarification: AU President Neil Kerwin released his quote through a press release.