Tenleytown Safeway scheduled to close in 10 months

Tenleytown’s Safeway supermarket will closing its doors in 10 months after being purchased by nearby Georgetown Day School. The June 5 announcement also included the Georgetown Day School’s purchase of Tenleytown’s Martens Volvo/Volkswagen car dealership.

The Tenleytown supermarket purchase came after Safeway announced they would be shutting down the location in 10 months after years of renovation talks, Georgetown Day School Director of Communications Alison Grasheim said.

Safeway’s location allows the private school to continue its attempts to move the lower and middle school locations close to the Tenleytown location across from the grocery store, Grasheim said.

Originally, the supermarket wanted to demolish the Tenleytown location and replace it with a new facility with a modern design. According to Safeway spokesman Craig Muckle, Safeway’s Georgetown, Bethesda and upcoming Petworth locations were considered as the templates for a sleeker renovation but the company decided to close the Tenleytown location instead.

Georgetown Day School’s recent offer was not its first. Muckle said the day school has made expansion plans known for the last five years. The grocery store’s closure made it possible for the company to sell the location and for GDS to achieve its five year goal of expanding into the neighborhood.

Tenleytown’s Safeway is currently one of two grocery stores in the neighborhood. It is often seen as a cheaper alternative to Whole Foods on Wisconsin Avenue. The supermarket’s impending closure has some students worried about where they will be able to purchase budget-friendly groceries.

There are other options for students concerned with buying affordable groceries. The Georgetown, Palisades and Chevy Chase circle Safeway locations are feasible for students, Muckle said.

There are a few options for students looking for an alternative to Whole Foods:

• Van Ness Giant (M Red Line)
  • Chevy Chase Safeway (N2 to N6)
  • Glover Park Safeway (N2 to N6; 31, 32, 36)

jsmith@theeagleonline.com