David Plouffe and Stephanie Cutter to speak at AU

The Kennedy Political Union will host David Plouffe and Stephanie Cutter for its first speaker event of the year on Sept. 8.

Plouffe served as President Barack Obama’s campaign manager during the 2008 elections and served as a senior advisor to the president until 2013, according to an Aug. 21 KPU press release. Plouffe recently became the senior vice president for Policy and Strategy for the ride share company Uber.

Uber hired the veteran political strategist to help the company as it continues to expand and faces controversy from taxi interests who claim the company often operates illegally, according to a Washington Post report. Plouffe will lead the charge to take on the company’s lobbying foes at the national level.

4756_stephanie_cutter_co_barack_obamao.j

Courtesy of Obama for American

Cutter notably served as the deputy campaign manager for Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign and served as the chairman of the Board for the President’s Inaugural Committee, according to the press release. Cutter has also worked on staff for President Bill Clinton, the Kerry-Edward campaign, Sen. Harry Reid and Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Most recently Cutter joined CNN as a co-host of the relaunched political pundit show Crossfire in June 2013.

KPU Director Tyler Bowders was thrilled to announce the group’s first set of speakers for the year.

“I’m very excited to have David Plouffe and Stephanie Cutter as KPU’s first speaking event of the year,” he said. “They really set the tone for the high caliber line-up that KPU has put in place.”

The speakers’ talks will focus on their time on the campaign trail, their work in the private and public sector and the upcoming midterm elections, according to the release.

The event will be held at 8:15 p.m. in the MGC University Club.

kmagill@theeagleonline.com