People stand near the Tenleytown Metro stop in 2014.

How to get around Washington, D.C.

Living in Washington, D.C. offers students an endless list of exciting things to do. For anyone new to the district, learning how to navigate around the city is essential. Whether it’s using the district’s vast metrorail system or calling for an Uber, students always have a way to and from campus. Here are the most widely used modes of transportation for AU students to get around the city.

Metro
4742_c_woo_tenleytown_metro004f.JPG

Photo: CHERISE WOO/THE EAGLE

The DC metrorail is one of the most common ways for students to get around the city. With six different lines offering access to all corners of the district (including the brand new Silver Line), the metro is one of the most popular forms of transportation. Fares start at $1.35 and vary based on the distance travelled. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority charges $1 extra on each paper farecard, but students can buy rechargeable SmarTrip cards for $2 in most stations.

Trains start running at 5 a.m. on weekdays and 7 a.m. on weekends and run until midnight during the week and 3 a.m. on the weekend. Trains typically run every six to twelve minutes. To navigate the rail system, users can refer to the metro map, which shows all stops and where lines intersect.

Bus
4730_a_alvarez_campus_shoot_8150102o.jpg

Photo: ALEJANDRO ALVAREZ/THE EAGLE

The other main form of public transit in the district, the D.C. metrobus, is also run by the WMATA. Stops are available all over the city, including stops on AU’s campus and in Georgetown, where the metro doesn’t go. Buses are some of the cheapest forms of transportation throughout the district, with flat fares for just $1.75, cash or SmarTrip.

Buses run approximately every 10 minutes during the week, and every 20-30 minutes on the weekends. Some popular buses for AU students include the 31, 32 and 36, which can take students to Georgetown.

Uber
4745_ubero.jpg

Courtesy of Uber

For students looking to use a taxi service, the private transport company Uber offers customers the ability to ride now and pay later. Customers request a car using the Uber mobile app, and the car then picks them up at their location. Users register their credit card once with the app, so they don’t need to have cash on hand to use the services. After their ride, they receive an email with their receipt. By using Uber’s app, customers can track where their car is en route to picking them up.

Car2Go
4746_car2goo.jpg

Courtesy of Car2Go

For students looking to drive themselves, Car2Go offers one-way car rentals. Customers register with the company and download the mobile app, which then shows them where Car2Go vehicles are available near them. Users can also see how much gasoline or electric power (for electric models) the car has. Registration is $35, and users are then charged $0.38 per minute during rental. Rates are all inclusive, covering gasoline, insurance, maintenance, parking and rental. Car2Go vehicles can often be found near or on AU’s campus for students to use.
Zipcar
4744_zipcaro.jpg

Courtesy of Zipcar

Similar to Car2Go, Zipcar offers users the ability to reserve a rental car ahead of time, then unlock it when they’re ready to go, and return it to the same location when they’re finished. Users must be registered with the company, and Zipcar offers AU students a discounted registration fee at $15. Like Car2Go, the fees are all inclusive, covering gas and insurance. Zipcars can also be found close to or on campus.

kmagill@theeagleonline.com