Rowdy punk rockers F****d Up rile up Rock & Roll Hotel

With a name like F****d Up, one could assume certain things about the band and the people going to listen to it. But F****d Up loves to break those misconceptions.

At the band’s show on July 3, Rock & Roll Hotel was filled with a diverse mix of people. From an older crowd that appeared to have just gotten off work in business casual to rowdy teenagers in their all-black and Xs on their hands, the band’s fans ranged as much as the albums in its 13-year career. The venue was filled with an exciting energy as everyone waited to see the Canadian punks perform on the eve of a patriotic weekend.

Lugging a pack of water bottles as big as his smile, F****d Up’s lead singer Abraham commanded the room the moment he entered it. Greeting everyone and wishing them a happy Fourth of July, Abraham started the show by telling the audience about his child and being a dad, proving anyone wrong that thought you can’t be a dad and still be hardcore. F****d Up’s newest album, “Glass Boys,” discusses the worries of growing up but still remaining true to oneself, and the band is on point, with a sound so loud and deadly there’s no doubt why it has been able to succeed for over a decade.

Abraham’s growl is captivating and demands to be acknowledged. The crowd immediately swarmed to the front once they began, with a high-energy mosh pit going on throughout. Members of the crowd fought to get to the mic, climbing on top of each other so that they can get their chance to scream along to every lyric with him. F****d Up played everything from their most recent hits like “Echo Boomer” to “Police,” a song it wrote in its earlier years. Abraham fed off this raw energy by generously giving the crowd back everything they gave him. He jumped into the wave of people, ran to the bar and sang at the top of his lungs as he dripped candle wax down his chest.

The opener for F****d Up, a fellow Canadian band named Weed, set up the night perfectly with its expansive, larger-than-life sound. The crowd may have been sparse during its set, but those that were there enjoyed the thundering drums and abrasive guitars from the songs on Weed’s debut album, “Deserve.” The intensity of the lead singer’s yells fighting to stay afloat among the monsoon of noise coming from other band members hypnotized those lucky enough to listen but felt like it ended just as soon as it began. Weed’s powerful set seemed mild in comparison to the chaos that ensued the minute F****d Up’s lead man stomped onstage.

The tight precision of the other band members balanced Abraham’s manic intensity. No one in the band missed a beat, and the show turned into one long song with ups and downs and high and lows, the whole time people enjoying the ride. F****d Up ended its set with the earth-shattering “Son the Father,” a song off of their acclaimed 2008 album, “The Chemistry of Common Life.” For so many of its songs focusing on the conflicts of growing up, F****d Up is just as rambunctious and energetic as it was when it started.