Malicious burning in south side residence halls prompts investigation

Stove-top burners were left on in two separate Anderson and Letts Hall lounges during the early hours of July 14, according to a Crime Alert released by AU Public Safety.

Melted plastic bottles were found inside a Letts Hall lounge where the stovetop had been left on, according to the Crime Alert.

The crime took place 1 and 4 a.m., according to the Crime Alert. AU Public Safety classified the incident as an act of “vandalism, attempted arson, and arson,” according to the AU Daily Crime Log, which lists all crimes reported to AU Public Safety.

AU Public Safety is offering a $500 reward to anyone who provides information that leads directly to the identification of the persons involved in the vandalism and attempted arson, according to tweets released by AU Public Safety on July 14 and 15.

The tweets from Public Safety state that the vandalism and attempted arson took place between July 12 and 14.

The incident on July 14 was listed in the AU Daily Crime Log, but no crimes were listed for July 12 and the two crimes logged for July 13 did not occur in south side residence halls or match the description of events in the Crime Alert or AU Public Safety tweets.

The tweets also list Centennial Hall as a residence hall targeted by the vandalism and attempted arson, but the hall was not listed on the Crime Alert.

AU Public Safety and AU Media Relations did not respond to multiple email requests for comment regarding the incidents in time for publication.

AU Public Safety is investigating the incident, and there are no suspects at this time, according to the Crime Alert.

shogan@theeagleonline.com