Best of D.C.: Record stores

On Stands Now

The Scene has a list of the five best record stores to visit in the D.C. area. After visiting stores based on location, affordability and reputation, these five were chosen for their general atmosphere and – ultimately – music selection.

Smash Records
A punk and alternative music store that sells CDs, t-shirts, shoes and music paraphernalia as well, Smash Records has a casual atmosphere perfect for browsing through stacks of records. The store carries an extensive collection of rock and roll, as well as some heavy metal and even indie music. They also sell record players for reasonable prices, as well as their own line of vintage clothing. Whether you’re just looking for records or for other good deals, take a look around and there’s bound to be something that catches your eye. As far as music stores go, this is one of the best places to go for those who like a little bit of edge to their music.
Where: 2314 18th St. NW, Washington, DC 20009

“Crooked Beat Records”:http://www.crookedbeat.com/
With a much more professional atmosphere than most, Crooked Beat Records is the most well-organized record store in the area. They have all of the usual categories as well as some unique ones, such as a collection of music from D.C. artists and some from other parts of the world. The store also carries smaller 7-inch records and a couple other sizes for those who have a non-standard sized record player. In addition to cheap used records, they also have the best selection of rare collectibles that you don’t necessarily have to hunt to uncover. If you don’t have the time to sift through piles of unsorted music or are looking for something specific, head here first.
Where: 2116 18th St. NW, Washington, DC 20009

“Som Records”:http://somrecordsdc.com/
Tucked underneath a staircase on U-Street, Som Records has a fun, upbeat vibe that makes you want to groove to the music. The store has one of the most diverse assortments of music in the area, and not just for a record store. Along with plenty of the usual rock music, they have great collections of soul, blues, go-go, reggae, hip hop, electronica, international and even country music. From old to new, popular to underground, this store has the best range of selection. If you’re looking for something different from the typical record store classics, this is the place for you.
Where: 1843 14th St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20009

Red Onion Records
A small, one room store with a low roof, Red Onion Records arguably has the friendliest environment, full of people who truly love records and music. Along with all the usual genres, the store has some unique collections, including some new age and more recent music from the 2000s. Although the selection may be smaller than the others, this store makes the list for the best underground music. If you visit, be sure to ask the manager for suggestions or even some of the other customers browsing the store – they’re happy to help.
Where: 1901 18th St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20009

Joe’s Record Paradise
Located a few minutes from the Silver Spring Metro Station, Joe’s Record Paradise is a little out of the way, but if you can spare the time, it is definitely worth the trip. One of the largest record stores in the D.C. area, it carries music from almost any genre and time period imaginable. You’re almost guaranteed to find something to take home, because this store has the best quantity of selection, hands-down. The store also sells a good variety of other music merchandise, but one thing you won’t find anywhere else is their extensive collection of cassette tapes.