Best of D.C.: Local blogs

On Stands Now

Whether coming to AU last August was your first time in D.C. or you’re a seasoned veteran of the local scene, there are little quirks about D.C. that only insiders can present to the public. Sometimes the traditional press does a good job at bringing city cultural news to the masses — think The Washington Post Going Out Guide— but oftentimes the city’s best resources for cultural news stem from blogs. The Scene has compiled some of the best D.C.-based blogs for the subject matter readers crave: food, fashion, sports and more.

Best Food Blogs

Eater DC
It is safe to assume that the average college-age restaurant-goer in D.C. isn’t necessarily concerned about who is cooking their meal. But those who do love to know when their favorite spots in the city will open their rooftop porches or which restaurant’s head chef just left, look no further than Eater DC. Washington City Paper voted Eater DC the best food blog in 2013, and with its detailed content, it’s a one-stop shop for everything food- and drink-related in the greater D.C. area.

The Eater blogs have a presence in nearly 30 cities across North America, making the established blog trustworthy for the readers. The blog has suggestions about the best places to eat in the city during an event, as well as insider news like when new restaurants are slated to open. The layout is friendly and simple to navigate, making whatever information you’re looking for easy to access. So whatever your need may be for the food culture of D.C., you’re sure to find your answer on the Eater DC blog.

Bitches Who Brunch
The brunch culture in D.C. is so prevalent that it’s almost a punchline. Enter Bitches Who Brunch, the D.C.-based blog about all things brunch. Run by two women who identify themselves as only Becca and Cori Sue, the blog details new and great brunch spots in the city, as well as some off-spin topics that relate to the lifestyle of the stereotypical “brunch bitch” — fashion trends and swanky vacation locales.

The informal and personal tone of the blog makes it relatable. And really, who doesn’t love brunch? Bitches Who Brunch is the complete package blog. The blog has branched out to New York City, bringing bitchin’ brunch news to the Big Apple. Not bad for a little blog that got its start in the District.

Best Fashion Blogs

A Lacey Perspective
This fashion blog has received lots of critical praise, landing on the Washington City Paper’s “Best of” list for fashion blogs in 2013 and rave reviews from publications in the area. A Lacey Perspective, written and curated by Lacey Maffettone, is clean, easy to navigate and engaging with its audience. Lacey does giveaways, in similar form with other blogs, and the style suggestions she posts are on-point with the trends of the moment but aren’t overly flashy or unattainable.

Lacey also is the founder of CapFABB, which stands for Capital Area Fashion & Beauty Bloggers, a group that boasts over 700 members who have a place to meet, discuss and collaborate on all things D.C. fashion. Bringing ladies together in the name of fashion while also maintaining a hectic career and love life? Now that’s an empowered woman.

Capitol Hill Style
Capitol Hill Style started in 2008, when founder Belle decided to establish an outlet to connect with other working women with style in the D.C. area, according to her online manifesto. Belle not only gives advice (and very well-thought graphics) for her outfit coordinations but also a list of her most trusted shops clothing, shoes and beauty products in the greater D.C. area.

What’s great about Capitol Hill Style is its diversity. There is a range of style and comfort level displayed — not all swingy dresses and high heels. Belle also features a range of prices for pieces, all reasonable for working women and college students alike.

Best Sports Blogs

DC Sports Bog
No, that’s not a misspelling. The Washington Post’s DC Sports Bog is run by Dan Steinberg, the go-to guy for everything D.C. sports. The Sports Bog has a small accompanying staff that doesn’t just write about stats and figures — sometimes it’s the personality of an athlete or the circumstance of a game that make the story for the day. The quick posts make the reader laugh and think, the best of both worlds. In a city where the sports teams haven’t always lived up to the expectations of the fans, it’s nice to have knowledgeable guys to write about why it’s not time to give up.

Mr. Irrelevant
The name of this D.C. sports blog is based on the joke that the last pick of the NFL draft is always named Mr. Irrelevant, but the content the blog produces is far from irrelevant.

The blog is run by two brothers — the brothers Mottram — one who is the sports content director for USA TODAY and the other is a senior editor at SB Nation (translation: Sports Blog Nation). Dan Steinberg at The Sports Bog has praised the work that the brothers have put out, and their following has continued to grow. The blog posts are short and to-the-point, but not lacking in information or humor. Polls and lists are thrown in too, which almost guarantees readership and keeps them coming back for more.

Best Overall Blog

PoPville
There really isn’t a category for the PoPville blog to fit into. The blog, founded by Dan Silverman in 2006, was originally known as the Prince of Petworth (hence the PoP in the new title). The PoPville blog calls itself “DC’s Neighborhood Blog,” and there couldn’t be a better description for it.

When the blog was called Prince of Petworth, Silverman mainly catered his content to the happenings of that neighborhood, located in northeast D.C. However, with the enormous following Silverman began receiving — PoPville now gets nearly 2 million page views every month, according to the site — it’s clear to see why the blog has expanded to cover the city as a whole.

The blog is updated almost hourly by reader submissions and original content, and it’s no joke to say that PoPville covers all of D.C. One post about Georgetown is followed by a post about Georgia Avenue a couple hours later. No matter where you live, where you frequent or where you’d like to know more about, the PoPville blog will almost certainly have something for your to check out.

jmorice@theeagleonline.com