Dampman, Lehigh too much for AU women’s lacrosse

Despite a two-goal lead over Lehigh University going into halftime, the AU women’s lacrosse team fell to Lehigh 6-10 in Bethlehem, Pa. on Apr. 19.

Lehigh freshman attacker Krista Dampman led the way for the Mountain Hawks (7-7, 4-3 PL) with five of Lehigh’s 10 total goals in the game, including four goals in the second half that helped the Mountain Hawks secure their win over the Eagles (4-12, 0-7 PL).

Lehigh was the first team on the board, earning a 2-0 lead over AU when Dampman made her first goal of the afternoon with 24:30 remaining in the first half.

AU regained control of the game by scoring three consecutive goals, with two from sophomore attacker Jessica Wojciechowski. The three goals gave the Eagles a 3-2 lead halfway through the first period.

The Mountain Hawks fought back and tied up the game with 5:27 left in the first half. However, the Eagles finished the half strongly, notching two balls in the net in the last minute. The two last-minute goals gave AU a 5-3 lead over Lehigh at halftime.

AU’s lead quickly dissipated as Lehigh dominated the second half. The Mountain Hawks scored seven straight goals, building a 10-5 advantage over the Eagles. The only goal AU made was in the last second of regulation by sophomore midfielder Terese Buechli, bringing the score to 10-6.

AU’s loss to Lehigh marks its fifth straight loss, as well as its seventh loss to a Patriot League team this season.

Dampman recorded career-highs in points and goals scored with five each. Lehigh freshman midfielder Allison LaBeau also earned a career-high four points.

The Eagles will try to secure its only possible win against a conference team this season when it plays Colgate University at Jacobs Field on Apr. 19. The match will be the Eagles’ last game of the season.

kavancena@theeagleonline.com