University administrators search for permanent CFO

Chief Financial Officer Don Myers always put AU before himself, even in the months leading up to his death on Jan. 6.

During a 2008 golf trip to the United Kingdom, Myers had no interest in sightseeing, longtime neighbor Warren Nesbit recalled. Between turns on the fairway, Myers was on his laptop, investigating bond deals to shelter AU from the looming financial crisis.

“I knew Don was a star that week from what he was able to do on his laptop from 4,000 miles away in the lobby of a hotel on a golf course,” Nesbit said.

Myers was focused on his grandchildren’s graduation from AU and the “hundreds of millions of dollars of projects underway on campus” that he wasn’t able to see before his death, Nesbit said. His grandchildren asked not to be named.

Myers’ family and members of the AU community reflected on his life and dedication to the University during a memorial service at the Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church across from the School of International Service on Jan. 23.

During the service, Myers’ daughter Tracey Myers-Preston described him as a dedicated educator and protector of AU.

“During his final hospitalization, I will never forget [my mom, Margie Myers] informing me that he was thrilled because he had received the corner room,” Myers-Preston said. “He was thrilled because he had six bars [of cell phone reception]. He would never be out of touch with the University again.”

Myers regretted not being able to see AU’s planned East Campus extension and his grandchildren’s graduation from AU, according to Myers-Preston.

A planned “technology and innovation academic building” on East Campus will be named after Myers “as a fitting tribute to his work to enhance AU academics through improved facilities,” according to a Feb. 5 memo President Neil Kerwin.

AU Provost Scott Bass recounted Myers’ achievements during his time at AU, including growing the university’s endowment and raising its financial rating.

“[Myers] earmarked the necessary funds to jumpstart the AU renaissance we enjoy today,” Bass said.

Since Myers’ passing, Assistant Treasurer Doug Kudravetz has served as AU’s interim chief financial officer, vice president and treasurer, according to a Jan. 13 memo from Neil Kerwin. Kerwin and the Board of Trustees will search for a permanent replacement for the position at an “appropriate time” according to the memo.

Despite his passing, the AU community will continue to remember him for his 45 years of service to the school.

“Margie was his wife, but Don was also married to AU,” Bass said.

jangle@theeagleonline.com