AU Museum in running for Best of D.C. off the Mall

Voting ended March 1 for a Washington City Paper poll that might earn the AU Museum at the Katzen Arts Center the title of best museum in D.C. outside of the National Mall. Results will be available on April 10.

The “Best of D.C.” list has been polling readers on what the District has to offer since 2008. Hundreds of categories, ranging from concert venues to the restaurant that makes the best use of bacon, make the list a comprehensive guide to the Capital.

There is a category this year for “Best Museum off the Mall,” which the AU Museum has its eye on.

“Hopes are pretty high,” said Colin Dame, an AU Museum staff member. Dame also starred in a video made to promote the AU Museum for the poll.

There are plenty of ways to find out the best spots in the city, but the Washington City Paper is makes a point of listening to its readers for information and reviews on the city’s many destinations.

In the past, the Phillips Collection has taken home the accolade of Best Art Gallery, but this year may be different — Dame is certain that this is AU’s year.

“If you have seen the museum within the past year, you can see the absolute change and metamorphosis this entire institution has gone through,” Dame said.

The AU Museum’s shot at winning relies on events aimed at the community, like “Yoga in the Galleries,” gallery talks, artist receptions and lecture series, all which hope to provide a museum experience beyond a regular tour. These programs hope to provide visitors with a deeper understanding of the art rather than only a chance to view it.

“It’s a bit set apart from the normal Smithsonian, National Gallery experience,” museum Public Relations Coordinator Emily Biondo said.

Entrance to the museum is free, allowing anyone who is interested to come in and be educated or involved with events.

The AU Museum staff aims to give the community an opportunity to enjoy art in a unique way and hopes the community will reward its efforts.

“It’s just a chance for the local community to show some pride for this organization,” Biondo said.

The Washington City Paper will celebrate the “50 Best of D.C.” winners and finalists on April 10 with a party at the Carnegie Library. General admission tickets for the party start at $59.